Cat Food Gravy Recipe

Does anyone have a recipe for a cat gravy? I have a 19 year old and he will only lick the gravy from his food. I have worked for a veterinarian for many years, but we have yet to come up with a good recipe. Sometimes we need to "hide" liquid medication in the gravy mixture. Some medications can be compounded with a certain flavor, but some medications cannot. Thank you in advance.

By Sherri from CA

I am interested too - my 19 1/2 year old cat will only eat the gravy. I just tried a can of cat food, added water and ran it through the blender. She had no interest in it all.

Hello - when my 18 1/2 year old cat went off all solid foods, I began feeding her 'kitten formula' - 2 cups whole milk, 1 egg yolk, 1 tsp. corn syrup (opt), pinch of sea salt. Mix everything well and store in airtight container in the fridge. Take out only what your cat will drink for one meal, warm and serve. I also offered her normal cat kibble (or kitten chow) and fresh water at all times. She did well through the winter and passed peacefully during the next summer.

It is best to make the kitten formula with raw milk (either goat or cow) because it is far easier to digest.

Adult cats CANNOT tolerate the lactose in milk! They lack the enzyme it takes to process it.

Anonymous

I have to give vitamins & meds to a bunch of feral rescue cats everyday. I make "Special Gravy" and they go bonkers for it. I make it fresh each time and serve warm, but you could store it in the fridge. I put the following in a mayonaise size jar in this order: 1/2 cup kitten chow, L-Lysine powder, pro-biotic, fish oil, 2 scoops of Clear Science Powder Gravy, 1/4 cup milk, 2 cans wet can food and 1/4 hot water....i use one of those hand mixers for making smoothies to blend it into a liquid sludge, then add a cup or two of hot water to thin it out. Let it thicken as it cools. i then add a handful of easy to digest dry cat food for the few that like tidbits in the gravy. it makes about 1.5 quarts. I sneak in the meds for the ones I can't handle and it works everytime. good luck.