My cat has tapeworms and I have tried everything. I have used Advantage for the fleas while treating her for the worms and I am at my wits end. This has been going on for 8 months. I love my cat, but am so grossed out I'm thinking of taking her to the pound. I know it sounds bad, but I have tried everything. Any suggestions?
By candacen1111 from Sacramento
Instead of taking your beloved pet to the pound, have you thought of taking it to a vet? (07/08/2009)
Take this cat to the vet and have it tested for worms to find out exactly which type of worms it has. You have to get a prescription wormer from the vet that is specific for tapeworm. Over the counter wormers don't work for tapeworm even if they say they do.
If you're sure it's tapeworms, (wiggly rice looking pieces coming out the back end) you need to get Tradewinds tapeworm pills either over the internet or from a pet store. They contain praziquantel, which is exactly the same thing as the prescription wormer you get from the vet. If that doesn't work, then it isn't tapeworm and you should get it diagnosed by the vet.
And also another poster suggested garlic, don't ever give your cat garlic or onions. They can cause anemia. (07/08/2009)
My cat had to be seen by a vet and one dose of whatever she gave him took care of the tapeworms that very day. After taking the meds, the worms dissolve in their gut and are broken down by their digestive juices.
If you can't afford a vet, please call around. Some charge less. Ask your local humane society if they know of a less expensive vet. In my area (near Seattle) we have a chain called "Vets for Less" and "Value Pet Clinic" which charge half the cost of other vets!
I've spent the time calling around and I've found that if you happen to live in a higher income part of town (but aren't high income) the vets charge more because it costs more to rent their office space (and they can get more). Sometimes you get what you pay for, but it does pay to get out the phone book and call around in your situation. OR you could just save time and take your little sweetie to the closest place. Because after all, time IS money (for some of us). Just do your little guy a favor and do take him or her in! (07/08/2009)
Our vet treated one cat and told us to go to a local feed store and buy meds from them. We did this and it worked for our other 2 cats. (07/10/2009)
If whatever your vet is providing isn't working, I'd try another vet. Something just isn't right and you poor cat doesn't want to go to the pound anymore than she wants worms. It's not her fault, but she needs you to help her! (07/10/2009)
In the condition you note your cat seems to be in, taking her to the pound would likely mean almost immediate euthanasia. With the economy being what it is, the shelters are getting so many dogs and cats in that even the most healthy ones are getting put to sleep because there are more unwanted animals than adopters.
As another poster said: in nearly every area in the US, there are low-cost vets who can work with you. Google vets in your area and call around; also, the Humane Society near us also runs a very low cost clinic a couple of days a week. Could you find the same near you? (07/10/2009)
I had the same problem. Used slightly less of the canine tapeworm tablets. They were less expensive, for my cats, making certain they were crushed then mixed well into the tuna and fish oil from capsules, I made up, then it took three applications to work. That's over four months and no sign of any problems again. Don't give up, don't visit the pound yet, unless cat won't eat. Change cat food! I swear my pets get sick from canned food, so I give them only tuna, butter, raw beaten egg mixed into tuna, and dry better cat cereal. Keep plenty of clean water and bedding, tossing litter frequently. I use shredded newspaper. Cheap and smells better. One cat is twenty two years old, the other two are healthy and happy! God bless and help you. (07/10/2009)
That doesn't sound like tapeworms to me. when I find dried tapeworms on my outdoor cat, they look like miniature flattened bones, a light warm ivory in color with slightly tapered ends. Balls sound like something else. There are a lot of worms out there, though, tape, pin, and ring are the most common ones cats and dogs get. As for heart worms, cats rarely get those, though.
Tapeworms are effectively killed by Droncit, a prescription drug vets sell. It has to be given at least 2-4 times a year for the indoor/outdoor or completely outdoor cat. The pills cost about $6.00 for one dose, a pill and a half for cats 9lbs and over. They look basically like an aspirin in color, grain, and size.
However, if they are not tapeworms, it isn't Droncit you need. Have your cat checked to be certain.
I would call the vet and ask if I can bring in a stool sample. They can tell exactly what kind of worm your dealing with and what kind of medicine you need to kill it. Make sure you don't stop the treatment until your sure it's dead. The vet will tell you how long it should take.
Again the vet should request another stool sample to make sure it's gone. Some worms lay eggs in the ground that can stay in there for years so if your cat is going in the same spot digging or running around in that area chances are it can keep contaminating itself. Ring worms aren't exactly a worm it's a fungus so you will need a cream for it. I've got to be honest if it were my baby I'd be afraid of getting anything that didn't come from a vet. I hope this helps. (07/12/2009)
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!