Cat Peeing On Countertops

Can anyone tell me how to stop my cats from peeing on my stove and countertops?

Sharlene from Hagertown

Cat Peeing On Countertops

Sometimes if a cat is experiencing urinary problems they go in strange places to get your attention. Has your cat been to the vet lately? This could be a sign of a health problem as cats are clean animals. Good luck with your kitty. She could be in pain. (10/23/2008)

By NellieMary

Cat Peeing On Countertops

What a bummer for you.

1. I'd suggest using double stick tape directly on the countertops or placing double stick tape onto sections of cardboard, then putting this cardboard on your countertops. Because cats hate the sticky feeling of this on their soft little foot-pads. Another idea, buy Contact paper at the Dollar store (or wherever) and put this sticky side up. I bet that the first time he feels the Contact paper on his feet, he will think twice before doing it again.

2. Also, whenever you see the little fellow up on your countertops and stove spray him or her with a spray bottle and say "NO!" loudly. We don't need to use the spray bottle with our cat, we just say "NO!" quite loudly whenever he goes up there and now he hardly ever tries to jump up there.
  3. Your cat may have a urinary or kidney infection or could be sick with some other ailment, I'd take him or her to the vet. If you don't have the money, you should call around first and tell them your story and ask for prices (as some vet prices vary, especially in the "upper class" parts of town). Or, before you decide on a vet, you can start by buying the cat litter that is made for testing if your cat has a urinary infection. The crystals in it will turn a different color. I saw some of this "urinary infection testing litter" at Walmart, but I bet most pet stores would have it. I'm sure it doesn't really test for much, I bet it's just a pH tester, but at least it's a start.

4. Put a litter box in the kitchen and after you cat starts using it, slowly move it into the room you want him to use it in. My cat was sick and peed on my kitchen floor (we took him to a vet) so we temporarily put a small litterbox in the kitchen along with his regular box in the bathroom.

5. Clean the stove and way down inside of stove underneath the burners and also the counter top with vinegar. Clean it super good. The vinegar will remove most traces of the smell of cat pee. The smell of his or her own pee may be luring him up there again and again. Remember, even though we can't smell it, does not mean our cat's great noses can't.

If it were me, I'd do each and every one of these things, start by cleaning your stove and countertop well with vinegar, then always keep a spray bottle handy to teach him to stay off the countertops and stove and say "NO!" when he jumps up there. Put double-stick tape or contact paper face up onto the counter top or onto a section of cardboard and leave this sticky stuff on the countertops while he learns. Also get a litterbox with the special litter in it for the kitchen along with your regular litter box. Also, get him tested by a vet for any problems. (10/23/2008)

By Cyinda

Cat Peeing On Countertops

Usually when an animal starts acting in a way that is totally not like them at all, they will start doing things like that. Sometimes they may be upset at company that came over today, they may feel stressed about a change in their usual routine, anything out of the ordinary could make them behave in an unusual manner. The urinary tract infection is a very plausible cause for this kind of behavior; a vet visit is recommended.

In the meantime, you still have the problem of the cat pottying where he/she is not supposed to. Using the sticky-side-out thing is good; placing several light-weight aluminum pie pans or a bunch of tin cans on top of the stove is another good one. When the cat jumps up, he knocks the pans or cans off onto the floor and it makes a tremendous racket, scaring him away from the stove. It doesn't take but once or twice for him to get the message. The squirt-with-the-water advice is good as well, but you have to stay in the room and catch him in the act of jumping up. Good luck; but please do look into the health issue. (10/23/2008)

By Anonymous

Cat Peeing On Countertops

You might need to have kitty checked for incontinence because it may not be his/her fault. Kitty may be sick. I'd go to the vet. Also, make sure litter boxes are totally clean. My cat refuses to use the box if it's dirty. (10/23/2008)

By kfr1sby

Cat Peeing On Countertops

Has there been a recent event such as a person or pet added to or removed from the household? Has any member of the household had an extended stay or stressful visit to a doctor, hospital, or veterinarian? Have the cats begun to fight? Is a non neutered pet entering sexual maturity? Have strange animals begun to come calling or marking at doors or windows? Has there been a sudden change in litter or some disturbing event in the litter box area? All these factors, as well as illness, can lead cats to pee where they should not. Check with a veterinarian if the cause is not obvious.

In the meantime, slightly crinkled aluminum foil laid on a counter can encourage cats to leave the area alone. Many cats don't like the feel or the sound. (10/23/2008)

By Red Neck

Cat Peeing On Countertops

You only mention one cat and it seems that the cat is selectively peeing only on your countertops and the stove.

I would check around behind the stove, refridgerator and the kitchen to look for signs of any kind of rodent that might have moved in for the winter. The mice would stick to the cabinets and counters when they find food and it could explain why your cat might be selectively peeing there.

Obviously scour the entire kitchen and trap the mice if that's the case and the problem should resolve itself. Even if you don't see signs of mice; I would put out traps or carefully position some poison because you might not see the signs of a mouse for a long time.

Your cat should already be spayed or neutered but if not; get it done. Cats are extremely territorial and will start all kinds of bad behaviour if the home gets too crowded with pets or people or has unwanted guests. It's rarely one specific behaviour like you describe when there are extra pets or invited guests.

Check carefully to make sure the cat isn't also peeing elsewhere. Also check the cat out yourself. Give them a good pet and gently feel around their abdomen. If there's an infection they will let you know if it hurts or they're uncomfortable. If you have any doubts or find other pee spots; get them to a vet.

It's unlikely a sick cat would jump and only pee on counters.

If the cat is sick, you can make temporary, cheap and effective litter boxes with a simple cardboard box cut down at the store with a plastic bag liner if need be to help the cat while they recover.

Cats can be trained. Definitely use a spray water bottle or compressed air (never directly into their face) and firm "off" command when the cat even jumps onto the counters, because it just isn't sanitary to have them there.

Some cats dislike the scent of citrus so using a lemon scented cleaner or leaving lemon/orange/lime peels about might also discourage them. All animals are different so don't be afraid to try something and change if it doesn't work.

Good luck.

By Shelter Worker

Cat Peeing On Countertops

Do you have plants on your countertops? One of my cats did that once to a plant on my table. It definitely is a behavioral issue. The cat is upset about something, it's like a payback or something. (10/24/2008)

By Amy

Cat Peeing On Countertops

Yes to all. I would add that I have had success with using vinegar in which I soak some citrus peels for a day. Cats don't like the smell of citrus. Nature's Miracle works on the same idea of citrus smell keeping them from using the same place. Don't use ammonia or bleach, as it smells to them like old pee. (10/25/2008)

By Cantate

Cat Peeing On Countertops

The first thing you should always do when a cats urination habits change is see the vet. A friend of mine learned the hard way. Her 1 year old cat started peeing on everything. Clothes, her bed, etc. She thought the cat was just being bad and let it go on for months. When she finally took her, the cat had had a urinary tract infection that traveled to her kidneys and she had to have her put to sleep. She was heartbroken. If you haven't taken your cat yet, please do. It's better to make sure the cat is not sick and then try different suggestions. (10/25/2008)

By darkruby

Cat Peeing On Countertops

Do you have other cats in the house? If so, it could be because the other cats are chasing her when she tries to go to the litter box. It happened to one of mine; the other cats bully her and she runs from them. She usually ended up in the kitchen on the counter or stove. When I realized what was happening, I had to put her in her own room. She now occupies the spare bedroom. During the day while I'm at work and after I feed her, I'll keep the door shut so she can have some peace. Hope this helps. Good luck. (11/03/2008)

By Kathy

Cat Peeing On Countertops

I took her to the vet and she does have UTI. She is on antibiotics and we will check her in one week. Thank you for all the great advice. (11/04/2008)

By Sharlene

Cat walking on a kitchen counter.
Preventing Your Cat From Peeing in the Kitchen
A nice kitchen with granite countertops and white cabinets.
Coordinating Granite Countertops With Kitchen Cabinets
Dog Standing on Carpet
Preventing a Dog From Peeing on Carpet and Rugs
Litter Box
Cat Peeing Outside Litter Box
guilty dog
Dog Peeing and Pooping Inside