Cat Stops Using Litter Box

Help with my male cat I have had him since he was a baby he is now 3 years old been fixed about a year ago I moved about a month ago and he was doing well until the last 3-4 days and he just stopped using his litter box and it is in the same location with nothing different.

Donnarae from , Elmira NY

Cat Stops Using Litter Box

He could have kidney stones. My advise is to take him to the vet, ASAP!

Denise
www.automaticbuilder.com/kyss (09/07/2007)

By

Cat Stops Using Litter Box

The cats are probably nervous about being in a new place. Pets get as nervous as kids do when you move, and they're young, especially if they've lived in one place their entire life. If you notice they're going in one spot, all the time, try moving the litter box to that spot, keep telling them "you have to use the litter box, you can't go on the floor (I know its silly, but I always felt cats understood you.) But, they're probably just scared and nervous about the new place, it'll take time but I'm sure they'll get used to it and once you find a "comfortable" spot for their boxes, they'll start using them again. Good luck! (Note: I'm not a vet, just have had experiences with pets.) (09/07/2007)

By Candreya

Cat Stops Using Litter Box

I had a male cat, stopped using litter box. He was ill because he was straining and unable to
urinate. Please take him to your vet early on. A quick check over could save his life and you a broken heart.
(09/07/2007)

By Mary

Cat Stops Using Litter Box

It could be a urinary tract infection as we had with our kitties. Also, we were told to change the litter we were using as the litter dust was aggravating the problem. After antibiotics and a few varieties of litter to see what worked, we got our kitties all sorted out. Now they are just fine! After a move, be sure to pay special attention to him. Who knows, it may also be that he scents another cat and is annoyed by the lingering scent? As mentioned in previous posts, definitely go to the vet for a check-up. Better safe than sorry. (09/07/2007)

By Trisch

Cat Stops Using Litter Box

A urination problem in a male cat is not something to be taken lightly. Get him to a vet ASAP. UTIs in male cats if left untreated will cause (a painful) death.

If he's not defecating then it could be a major hairball and/or his stool is impacted. Again, a trip to the vet is a must! (09/07/2007)

By Maryeileen

Cat Stops Using Litter Box

I've just got a couple of cats, and the shelter gave me lots of info about how to take care of cats, including this problem. It could be that your cat is sick, or upset because of the move. Check the ASPCA website at aspca.org, under the Expert Advise caption, then click on Animal Behavior for some helpful tips

good luck.

Anna (09/09/2007)

By aw_$mgr96

Cat Stops Using Litter Box

I agree with taking him to the vet. The timing could all be coincidence and has nothing to do with the move. Sometimes if it's too painful to urinate they won't use the litter box because they associate it with the pain. (09/10/2007)

By Lynn Beth

Litterbox on a white background
Cat Stopped Using Litter Box
Homemade Cat Litter Box
Homemade Cat Litter Box Ideas
Cat in Litter Box
Cat Not Using the Litter Box
Cat exiting a litter box.
Cat Litter Mat Reviews
Cat Litter
Alternative Uses for Cat Litter
🎉
🎄