Cat Urine Smell on Hardwood Floors

My son bought a house that smells like cat pee. I have read many articles on the subject, however nothing I have read specifically answers this question. We have sanded the floors down to bare wood.

I was going to use bleach to see if I could get rid of the smell, but I am not sure if I can put the diluted bleach directly on the sanded floor. I am afraid that after all of the work we have done, the bleach will harm the floors. Any suggestions? Can we mop the bare wood floor with the bleach solution, and is bleach the best solution?

By Jan from Grosse Pointe Park, MI

Answers:

Cat Urine Smell on Hardwood Floors

We bought a house that had floors ruined with human urine, long story. We sanded to the bare wood, mopped with bleach, let it air out and dry well then refinished the floor. That was 10 years ago and the floors look and smell nice. (06/02/2009)

By Glenn'sMom

Cat Urine Smell on Hardwood Floors

I know there is a product called "Urine Clean" which should remove the odor. (06/05/2009)

By no-no-nancy

Cat Urine Smell on Hardwood Floors

I have had opportunity to be "blessed" with pee smell problems on an ongoing basis. So, I've had opportunity to try a few things. There are a few products that neutralize the odor very well.

By Genifromalamp

Cat Urine Smell on Hardwood Floors

P.S. Bleach is not the best solution. (06/05/2009)

By Genifromalamp

Cat Urine Smell on Hardwood Floors

We also have had this problem. We had to purchase "wood" bleach and bleach the area. We also had to refinish the dining room floor (where the problem area was). After it was done and sealed we had no odor and the floor was beautiful. (06/06/2009)

By donnabob

Cat Urine Smell on Hardwood Floors

I raise Boxer puppies, so I know the frustration with the smell of urine. The best thing that I have found is called OUT!. You can purchase this at Wal-mart in a small bottle for $8.50 and I have also found it at K-mart in a gallon jug for $12. Just spray it on the hard wood floors and let it sit for 10-15 minutes and then mop the floors as usual. It actually neutralizes the odor instead of covering it up.

My friend had the same problem with cat urine. I took over a bottle and she sprayed on the floors and 3 hours later the house was rid of all the smell.

I swear by this stuff. I keep a gallon on hand at all times. It actually smells really nice too so I also use it as refresher on the curtains, furniture, etc. (06/08/2009)

By boxergirl76

Cat Urine Smell on Hardwood Floors

Bleach and cat urine mix is potentially deadly. Visit thatsmellincat.com for some good products that I use on my hardwood floor. (08/06/2009)

By nateg77

Cat Urine Smell on Hardwood Floors

I have 4 boxes full of so-called urine clean up products, which failed. Only one worked. It's Anti Icky Poo and I got it from catfaeries.com. They have a yellow stain remover too.

Anti Icky Poo worked on my rugs, kitchen floors, and my hardwood floor entry way. (11/09/2009)

By MarieClaire

Cat Urine Smell on Hardwood Floors
A kitten sitting on a wood floor.
Cleaning Cat Urine Smell on Hardwood Floors
Red Chair on Hardwood Floor
Keeping Furniture from Sliding on Hardwood Floors
Engineered Hardwood Floor
Repairing Water Damage on an Engineered Hardwood Floor
Someone mopping hardwood floors
Cleaning Hardwood Floors
🎉
🎄