Cat Urine on Leather Furniture

Any suggestions on how to get a cat urine smell out of a leather couch with cushions that are stuffed with down feathers? Thanks.

octoberbabye from Bradenton, Fl USA

Answers:

Cat Urine on Leather Sofa

We had a cat pee on a memory foam mattress and what worked for us is plain old hydrogen peroxide! Try it straight on an unseen part of the leather to see if it will bleach first. Some people are totally neurotic about the bleaching possibility, but it is worth trying to make sure.

We just soaked the mattress totally with the peroxide and let it dry naturally. I do agree with the guy about using baby oil afterward though. You don't want to dry out the leather and have it start cracking. But I would use a scented oil. Take a bit of MINERAL oil (unscented) and add essential oil to scent it how you would like. Personally, a drop or 2 of orange, and a few of mint mixed together sounds good. (Cats tend to love mint, so you would have to check your cat first to see if it makes them "excited" or relaxed. Ours it relaxes.)

Hope this helps. I did save our memory foam mattress, and it was soaked by a child several times before the cat got at it (child just refused to admit there was a problem), so the child urine had dried into it each time. (03/31/2008)

By Milenda

Cat Urine on Leather Sofa

I have a black leather jacket that my cat managed to pull off of a chair back and pee on. It changed the appearance as well as the smell of the leather. I used Nature's Miracle, easily found at pet supply stores in a white bottle with red writing. I figured I didn't have anything to lose, because if the urine didn't come out I would no longer be able to wear my jacket.

I got a roll of paper towels, and soaked the stains several times, blotting after each application. After the leather seemed pliable again (the urine had dried and made the leather stiff), I soaked and blotted a few more times, then put a small amount on the leather and let it dry, away from heat and sunlight. When it was dry I kind of rolled it in my hands to soften it again, and have had no problem since, not even a curious look from kitty when I wear it. Nothing to lose at this point, couldn't hurt to try. (03/31/2008)

By purrplekat

Cat Urine on Leather Sofa

I used tee tree oil to remove the smell of cat urine, and it worked well. (08/17/2008)

Cat Urine on Leather Sofa

Thanks for the help in solving this problem. Our cat had urinated continuously on a leather sofa in our home while we were out of town, and what a mess it was. We cleaned it by:

- Using a product called "Nature's Miracle" (orange scent) on all surfaces.
- Removing the foam from the cushions and soaking them with "Nature's Miracle" several times.
- No dry cleaner would guarantee the outcome of the leather covers so we called "Chem.-Dry" (look them up on the net). They came out and used a product called P.U.R.T. It worked well for the most part, with only minimal damage to the finish.
- We had to soak some of the seams with Febreeze
- After letting all the parts air out for 2 weeks, all is well.
- We put the sofa back together and applied a leather conditioner.
- I think the P.U.R.T. was the main cure for the problem.

I hope this helps. (10/27/2008)

By Dan

Cat Urine on Leather Furniture
new leather chair
Smell from New Leather Furniture
3 cats on a leather couch
Leather Couch Bleached By Cat Urine
An ink pen in a blue leather purse.
Removing Ink from Leather
Man's hands cleaning a leather couch.
Leather Furniture Cleaner Recipes
🎄