Cat Won't Use Litter Box

My cat had a litter of four cats about 4 years ago. Three of the cats are litter box trained - one is not. This one cat has never used a litter box. I have tried everything from getting her her own box to putting her in a separate area with a box.

She used to use a rug that was next to the other litter boxes and she did very well with that for a while. We have recently moved and she will only go to the front door of all places. We are having the carpet replaced in our new home because we cannot get her house broken or to even use a rug now. Any suggestions?

Annie from TX

Cat Won't Use Litter Box

1. Try different kinds of litter.
  2. Try putting the cat's box in the spot where he/she pees.
  3. If outside cats are marking, your cat may think he/she has to mark out his own territory. Try neutralizing the outside cats' odors.
  4. Try two boxes with a different kind of litter in each.
  5. Never punish a cat for peeing in the wrong place. It doesn't mean to be bad.
  6. If your cat is pooping outside the box, consider whether there is a message implied.

A boyfriend once called my cat a "dirty, hairy little slut" and she stalked out of the room in great indignation as he apologized to her: "I was only teasing, Tattoo." When he went into the bedroom where he'd left his overnight bag, there was a little present next to it. (04/24/2008)

By Samudra

Cat Won't Use Litter Box

I was told by the vet that a neutered male can still spray it doesn't take that away just calms the want to, but like you mine does that. He said my cat, who has been fixed for years never sprayed until we got a new cat and the smell triggered him to spray again. He says you can give him a pill kinda like motion sickness pill to calm down, but it doesn't really cure it. They can, but no guarantees on it. He didn't know what else to tell me except he thinks there is a competition, but Cream doesn't spray back just Kit Kat. (12/31/2008)

By Heather M.

Cat in Litter Box
Cat Not Using the Litter Box
Finger pointing at kitten in litter box
Kitten Not Using the Litter Box
Litterbox on a white background
Cat Stopped Using Litter Box
Homemade Cat Litter Box
Homemade Cat Litter Box Ideas
Cat exiting a litter box.
Cat Litter Mat Reviews