Cat with Urinary Tract Infection

I have a 10 year old male cat, who has a urinary tract infection right now. He pees just a little amount, quite often, and all around the house. He's on antibiotics for the next two weeks, but when he's better, I'm worried that he's going to smell where he peed before, and pee there again. Any tips?

Also, I heard if you let your cat outside once in a while, the inappropriate urination seems to stop. I'm worried, because his front paws are declawed, that another cat will attack him, and he won't be able to defend himself. Will this happen?

Cat with Urinary Tract Infection

Hope your cat is better soon. I would clean the spots with hydrogen peroxide. I put it in a spray bottle and spray the spot then use water in a bucket with a rag wet the area down and use a dry rag to get the rest of the water up. The peroxide won't ruin carpet etc., but just to be on the safe side I would try in first in an area that you can't see.

I would not let your cat out if he is declawed. The vet will let you know what to be feeding your cat if he is prone to urinary infection. I think if you feed dry food it should be low ash content. I feed canned and dry to my cats.

Liz (08/04/2004)

By Liz acraftycat

Cat with Urinary Tract Infection

I hope your cat is doing better. I have had male cats with urinary tract infections, after they were better they did not go anywhere, but in their box. There are cat foods out there dry and wet, they are normally called special diet, that's what I used and haven't had a problem since. Good luck.
Evie (08/04/2004)

Cat with Urinary Tract Infection

I have always used plain white vinegar on such "accidents". Just wet a rag and dab the spot so that it is pretty wet, then let it dry (the vinegar smell goes away quickly). Hydrogen peroxide can be used to bleach out stains on fabric, so I'd be leery of using it on carpet.

I buy the "special diet" food for our "little old man" cat (he is 15 now and still enjoying life).

Hope your fella feels better soon. (08/09/2004)

By Becki in Indiana

Cat with Urinary Tract Infection

You should not let a cat that has been declawed outside ever. There is no way for him to defend himself. What's your 1st instinct when approached with danger head on? You put up your hands. Same with him except it would be front paws.

Buy the spray from Walmart in the pet department. It has special enzymes in it that destroy the bacteria that causes the urine odor to remain. It is safe, cheap and it works. (08/09/2004)

By Denise

Cat with Urinary Tract Infection

Do put your cat on the special diet food. It will help with the urinary tract infections and he'll also lose weight on it. The special diet foods are more easily digestible so you'll have less mess to clean in the litterbox.

To locate the spots where he's peed here and there, get a black light lightbulb in a lamp and shine it around your home. Wherever he's peed will glow under the light and you'll know where to clean. (08/10/2004)

By certified

Cat with Urinary Tract Infection

Your best bet is to talk with a vet about the problem. I have a (spayed) female cat who developed a urinary tract infection a good many years ago. The vet put her on a special diet (only available at vet. clinics) and told us not to give her anything with fish or seafood, even flavored. That fixed her up, but the food was expensive and she had a problem with hairballs as well. I read the ingredients on the food bag, found a premium "hairball formula" food in the store that seemed right and tried it. This has saved me some money, she still has no U.T. infections, and her hairballs aren't as bad. Oh, and she likes this a lot better too.

Good luck. (08/12/2004)

By Warren D. L.

Cat with Urinary Tract Infection

I have a male neutered kitten currently with a UTI the vet put him on amoxicillin. Told me to get Uri-ease from Petsmart for him and he eats those really well. Use non clay litter which I haven't ever used anyways and scoop his boxes at least 5 times a day. The vet also told me to feed him wet cat food and mix 1-2 tablespoons of 100% cranberry juice with his wet food each time I give it to him until he's over the UTI. Also, to feed him Blue Buffalo cat food which is natural and also has cranberry in the food among other minerals and vitamins. I do not know if this is going to work yet, but sounds similar to what would be done if I had a UTI so sounds right to me. Hope this might help someone else. (09/05/2009)

By Common Sense with cats

Cat with Urinary Tract Infection
Treating and Vet Examining Cat
Treating and Preventing Urinary Tract Problems in Cats
oinment bottle
Treating a Staph Infection (Cellulitis)
Treating a Cat With Watery Eyes