CatsPets

Cats Not Getting Along After Being Spayed

I have 2 Bengals that I got spayed on Wednesday 31st May together at vet. They are sisters and have been together always. They sleep together and play. I have never ever heard them hiss or fight; they are so loving. I am feeling very sad. One sister lashed out on the way home from the vet's. It seems online that this is normal particularly if only one pet has been to vet due to smell. They went together. As they have open wounds I kept them separate and tried to reintroduce them over the past week. But one keeps attacking the other one, hissing through glass when put together, actually attacking. They are loving with me, wanting hugs, yet I'm the one that is putting cones on their heads and giving them medicine. I've tried getting one to sit on their blanket and then the other to transfer smells. I can't leave them alone together. I've tried it 3 times, but one is violent with the other and their wounds are still open from the operation. I hate seeing these 2 close buddies like this. My apologies for the long post, but I need some suggestions please.

This is common. Cats recognize each other by smell. Since they went to the vet, they were both introduced to different smells and they may not smell the same to each other. You can try to keep them separate and reintroduce slowly. You can also try wiping each one down with a baby wipe. With time they will get to recognize each other by smell again and will get along better.

I know this can be very upsetting but from all appearances it will go away but it may take longer than some people say.

Even though you carried them to the vet together, it is possible that different people handled each cat at the clinic thus giving them different smells.

I know you have been researching this and may think that most of it doesn't apply to your situation but I believe that a lot of it does. Your cats are rethinking their position in your home and their relationship with their former friend so no matter what caused it, the remedy will still be the same.

Just remember, cats are unique and what works for one cat may never work for another. Some of the most successful solutions seems to be:

1) keep them apart but trade rooms every day or so leaving all the bedding behind

2) try rubbing something on both cat's back (or places on their body) such as vanilla extract - water from tuna can or something like that

3) definitely do not let them fight so this may take a while but it will take time for their surgery to heal so it may be a good thing right now.

Don't forget - your cats are wearing a cone (which must look frightening/horrible to the other cat!) and they do not know that they are wearing the same thing.

Time and patience are what you need right now as I believe they will soon return to their original loving nature soon.

here is a very good site to check out:

https://www.the  et-visits-553918

https://www.asp  s-your-household