Cedar Shavings for Dog Bedding

I just built my dogs a new house with a hinged top and a removable front for ease of cleaning. Is there anything wrong with using lose cedar shavings for their bedding? It would be cheaper than buying a pillow. Less messy than having to wash a cover. Whenever I wanted to change the bedding I could just sweep it out and pour new in.

KirkZ from Mount Pleasant, SC

Answers:

Cedar Shavings for Dog Bedding

I wouldn't. I hear that, the scented oils in the shavings can affect the animal's metabolism and liver function, and possibly induce cancer or precancerous lesions, especially on the liver.
Also the shavings can cause allergic reactions and/or asthma, and trigger asthma attacks, in humans, and in the animals.
(03/26/2007)

By Magen

Cedar Shavings for Dog Bedding

Cedar shavings are toxic. Use pine shavings instead. Or how about old terry cloth towels or old cotton blankets? These could be washed when soiled. Will save you a lot of money in the long run. JMHO

By Denise

Cedar Shavings for Dog Bedding

Is your dog's house outside? Use straw or hay. (03/27/2007)

By Rosa

Cedar Shavings for Dog Bedding
Cedar Chest
Removing Mothball Odor From a Cedar Chest
Bedding in a laundry basket.
Uses for Old Bedding
Close up of a lock on a cedar chest.
Restoring a Cedar Chest
Getting Rid of Fleas in Bedding. Upclose photo of a flea.
Getting Rid of Fleas in Bedding
🎄