Ceiling Ideas for a Bathroom Shower Stall

I am redoing my small bathroom shower stall. Can anyone give me some great ideas for the ceiling to prevent water from making mold and mildew on ceiling from the water moisture. Something other than tile and sheetrock that will prevent this. What other easy ideas can be used for the ceiling that will stay and water moisture want mess it up. Please help. I'm starting on it in 3 days. God Bless.

Angelheart from Clyde, TX

Best Answer

My boyfriend's family moved, they had a mold problem in his bathroom in the basement because it had no ventilation. His mom cleaned the walls and ceiling and repainted them with a mold resistant paint and they haven't had a problem since. My bathroom has a popcorn ceiling and we have the same mold problem, but I plan on stripping the ceiling and painting the whole bathroom just has my boyfriend's mom did. They have a very closed in shower area, so a LOT of water collects on the ceiling, but they haven't had a problem at all since they painted it, and that was months ago!

Best Answer

Just saw a print advertisement from Home Depot and Behr (a paint for mildew). Sure there are other brands out there if you don't have a Home Depot near you.

Best Answer

I worked in 40 different very large apt. complexes as a leasing agent, seeing every sort of ceiling mildew problem possible. NOTHING works other than what we have in our shower: small tiles! We have a

very good exhaust fan that is in the bathroom ceiling that removes moisture to the outside, and in

the 30 + years we've lived here, there's NEVER been

any mildew...EXCEPT behind the silicone caulking between the wall and the tile walls !! God bless you. : )

Best Answer

I have a tiled ceiling above the shower. No mold. The light fixture in the shower stall, which is enclosed in glass, with a metal frame, suffers some rusting on the metal frame. Occasional repainting of the frame works fine.

I've read, (and still needing to do) that if you paint with paint for boats (Marine paint, I guess) that it's made for water and that it should hold up real good. That's on my list of things to do real soon.

We have a free-standing shower stall and my husband used clear silicone to attach a piece of plexiglass to the top, leaving a space on one side so it is not completely covered. Now I just clean the plexiglass when I do the shower. You need to leave a space otherwise it will completely fill with steam.