SafetyBetter Living

Cell Phone for Emergencies

I have a Tracfone cell phone and have it with me most of the time, especially when I am by myself. To me, it's like insurance. I seldom use it, but it's comforting to know I have it if I need it.

If I lived alone, I would have my cell phone with me all of the time. You never know when you might fall or need help. I have a friend that was house sitting when she fell and broke her ankle. Luckily, she had her cell phone with her and was able to call for help. Another friend, that is having medical problems, could not get out of the tub after taking a bath. She sat there for 10 hours before anyone came to her aid. If she had had her cell phone with her, she could have gotten help quickly.

Be safe. It's good to have a way to contact someone if you need to.

By Litter Gitter from NC

This is such a good idea!

I was alone for 11 years (after a divorce ended my marriage of nearly twenty years). When I first got it (1997) I was still married, mobile phones were expensive but when my marriage ended in late 1998 I continued the cell phone plan even though there were months when it was really hard to find the money.

I kept it in my pocket during the day, where I could reach it should I take a fall while showering, and right next to the bed at night. I've recently remarried (Jan 2011) but still have the phone with me all of the time-it's a good habit that could make a difference one day.