Sewing MachinesMachines

Changing the Belt on a Nelco Sewing Machine

I want to change the belt on a Nelco A-509-3 sewing machine I picked up at a thrift store. After cleaning it up, I was able to wind a bobbin, beautifully by the way, I have the bobbin winder back in the proper position. I threaded the machine, but when I try to sew on it, it moves very slowly even with my foot all the way down on the pedal. I'm thinking that the belt might be slipping if it's dried out. The belt is encased inside the side of the machine and I can get the side partially off, but there is a button on that side for turning on the light. I do have a manual for it and there is nothing about replacing the belt. Thanks.

By Suzan

I'm not familiar with that make and model but after several years of doing vintage sewing machines (mainly Singers) I've learned if the user manual doesn't show the user how to do something it means the user shouldn't try to do it.

Take the machine to a qualified repair tech. Please.

A repair tech has the tools and knowledge to change that belt for you in under ten minutes. More importantly, the repair tech will know if the sluggishness of the machine is indeed the belt at all - thereby possibly saving you some fret and money - instead of randomly changing parts, by going straight to the problem, solving it, and getting your machine back to sewing, your repair bill will be lighter.