Cheap Quilting Materials

I'm trying to get fabric to make quilts to be able to sell them and make a little extra money on the side. Does anyone know where I can get large amounts of fabric, cotton, yarn etc. for a low cost. What I'm really looking for is a buy now pay later option on this type of stuff. Any help would be appreciated.

Amanda

Answers:

Cheap Quilting Materials

I go to my local thrift shop where they have barrels of clothes that don't sell. They periodically cull their racks and put perfectly good clothes in the barrel which they sell for a $1.00 a bag. I look for large cotton garments, bring them home to wash, and cut them into pieces. I've made several quilts this way. I also use sheets for backing which often sell for only a dollar.

I've had lots of fun doing this and have found perfectly good material. If your thrift shop doesn't have the barrels, ask them to consider it as most shops just send the stuff to the landfill instead.

Have fun. (08/19/2005)

By Pat

Cheap Quilting Materials

Try the thrift stores. If they don't have regular fabric, you can always buy some curtains and cut them up. (08/19/2005)

By sjackie2000

Cheap Quilting Materials

I use my children's old clothes that don't fit them anymore. I've made a few denim quilts with their jeans. The jeans have fancy logos (JNCO, South Pole, etc.) stitched on them. I cut them into a square or rectangle. They'll always remember the "in" jean when they went to school. (08/20/2005)

By

Cheap Quilting Materials

Our Salvation Army throws away bunches of clothes. Just start pulling out of the big trash bins, free for the taking, just the cost of you washing and cutting apart. Might want to save the buttons, zippers, lace, and appliques for other projects. (03/20/2009)

By ksallen

Cheap Quilting Materials
Vintage Quilt
Repairing a Long Arm Quilting Machine
Cheap Date Ideas, Young Couple in the Park
Cheap Date Ideas
Strip Quilting Ideas
Strip Quilting Ideas
Making a quilt square on a home sewing machine.
Machine Quilting on a Home Sewing Machine
🎄
🍂