Chicken Fried Steak Recipes

Category Beef
Chicken Fried Steak
A popular breaded meat dish that uses less expensive cuts. This page contains chicken fried steak recipes.

• 1 1/2-2 lbs. round steak, tenderized
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 2 Tbsp. milk
  • 1 cup fine cracker crumbs
  • 1/4 cup vegetable shortening
  • salt and pepper, to taste

Directions:

Cut steak into serving size pieces. Mix eggs and milk in shallow bowl. Dip steak into egg mixture, then into cracker crumbs. Brown slowly in shortening in skillet. Season with salt and pepper. Cook, covered tightly, over very low heat for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until tender. Makes 6 servings.

By Robin from Washington, IA

Chicken Fried Steak I

I've had this recipe for many years and when moving to the south I added another ingredient, Old Bay Seasoning.

Ingredients

• 2-3 pounds round steak, tenderized (or ask butcher to tenderize it for you)
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. garlic powder
  • 2 tsp. Old Bay seasoning or Paprika if you can't find Old Bay
  • ground pepper (I use fresh ground)
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1/2 cup of milk (2% is fine)
  • Vegetable oil

GRAVY:

• 1 Tbsp. butter or margarine
  • 6 Tbsp. flour
  • 3 cups milk (2% ok)
  • Salt and Pepper

Directions

Cut steak into 4 pieces.combine the flour, salt, garlic powder, Old Bay or paprika, and pepper on a plate.

Combine eggs and milk in a bowl. Dip steak into the egg/milk mixture, then coat with the flour mixture. (I double dip). Cook steaks in hot oil in a heavy skillet. Remove steaks and keep warm. Add butter to skillet and mix with the drippings. Add flour and cook and stir until flour browns. Add hot milk and stir until thickened. Season with salt and pepper and pour over warm steaks. Enjoy!

By Connie from Oden, Arkansas

Chicken Fried Steak II

This recipe is a little different in that I refrigerate the prepared steaks for 24 hours prior to finishing them.

Ingredients

• 4 cube steaks
  • Seasoning salt (your choice)
  • 2 to 3 Tbsp. red wine or apple juice
  • 2 cups Bisquick baking mix
  • 1/4 lb. butter, melted
  • 1/3 cup vegetable or olive oil
  • Salt
  • Ground black pepper to taste.

Directions

The night before, put steaks in a single layer in a dish. Brush both sides with an even coating of the cooking oil. Dust them on both sides with a generous amount of seasoning Salt. Drizzle each steak with the wine or juice. Seal with foil and refrigerate for about 24 hours prior to preparing the final dish.

Remove steaks from the fridge and coat both sides well with Bisquick mix. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Combine the butter with the oil in a large skillet until melted.

Place steaks in the skillet. Brown both sides of each steak until crispy. Transfer to a baking pan and seal with foil. Bake at 375 degrees F. for about 30 minutes.

Serves: 4

By Connie from Cotter, AR

Chicken Fried Steak III

Ingredients

• 2-3 lbs. round steak, tenderized
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. garlic powder
  • 2 tsp. paprika
  • fresh ground pepper
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 6 Tbsp. flour
  • vegetable oil
  • 1 Tbsp. butter
  • 3 cups hot milk
  • salt and pepper, to taste

Directions

Cut the round steak into 4 pieces. Combine the flour, salt, garlic powder, paprika and pepper on a plate. Combine the eggs and milk in a bowl and dip the round steak in the egg and milk mixture. Then coat the round steak with flour. Cook the round steak in hot oil and remove the pieces and keep them warm. Add butter to the skillet and mix with the round steak drippings. Add flour and cook, stirring until the flour browns. Add hot milk and stir until thickened. Season with salt and pepper and pour over the warm round steak.

By Robin from Washington, IA

Chicken Fried Steak IV

Ingredients

• 1- 4 to 6 oz cube steak or round steak, cut 1/2 to 1/4-inch thick
  • flour for dredging
  • buttermilk
  • 1/4 tsp. onion powder
  • 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • vegetable oil for frying
Gravy:
  • 1/2 tbs. all-purpose flour or more
  • 1/2 cup milk or more
  • salt and pepper to taste

Directions

Heat a heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle the meat with the garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper to taste. Dredge the meat in the flour. If not using cube steak, pound the flour and seasonings into the meat with a meat hammer or the edge of a saucer.

Pour a little buttermilk in a shallow dish. Dip meat into butter milk and let drain a bit.Dredge in flour again. Pour oil into hot skillet (about 1/4-inch deep is good, but if you are watching your fat intake, use less). Brown meat on both sides. Cover, reduce heat to low, and cook for 10 minutes.Remove cover,turn steak and cook for another 10 minutes. Drain on paper towels.

Pour off all of the oil. Add flour and stir to make a roux,scraping any brown bits from the bottom of the pan. When the flour has cooked for a couple of minutes, add the milk, salt, and pepper, and stir to incorporate the roux. When the gravy is thickened to your taste, put steak in bowl and pour gravy over it.

Mashed potatoes are a common accompaniment and the gravy goes well on them too.

By Kathleen from Dothan, AL

Ingredients

• 4 cubed steaks
  • corn oil
  • seasoned salt
  • 3 Tbsp. red wine or juice
  • 2 cups Bisquick
  • 1/4 pound butter or margarine, melted
  • 1/3 cup cooking oil
  • Pepper (to taste)

Directions

The night before, put the steaks in a dish in single layers. Wipe them on both sides with an even coating of corn oil. Dust them on both sides with a generous amount of seasoned salt. Drizzle each steak with wine or juice. Seal the dish in doubled foil or plastic wrap and refrigerate it for about 24 hours prior to preparing the final dish. Remove the steaks from the fridge and coat both sides well with the biscuit mix.combine the butter with the oil in a large skillet until melted. Brown both sides of each steak, until crispy. Transfer right back to the same baking dish and seal in foil. Bake at 375 degrees F for about 30 minutes.

By Connie from Oden, Arkansas

• 1 egg (beaten)
  • 1 cup Bran Flakes cereal (crushed)*
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 1 tsp. onion powder
  • 1 tsp. mexican pepper (can use chili powder instead)
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 lb. ground beef or turkey
  • 2 Tbsp. cooking oil

Directions:

Combine egg, 1/2 of cereal, milk, mexican pepper, & salt; add the meat, mix well. Shape into 8 patties. Coat with remaining cereal crumbs. Cook in hot oil of medium heat for 3-5 minutes. on each side or until done.

*can substitute corn flakes for bran cereal, if desired.

By Terri H.

I have tried to make fried chicken with no luck. Then today I tried to make chicken fried steak. I was given a top shoulder piece of meat. I found in my cookbook chicken fried steak and you use this cut of meat. What am I doing wrong? The flour just comes off in the pan. I cut the steak before I cooked it, just like the book says (Southern Living). The same thing happens with fried chicken.

Sandy from Baltimore, MD

Have you tried dipping the chicken in milk, or an egg/milk mixture? That helps to hold the flour on. Hope that helps!

My sister makes great chicken fried steak and here's how she does it: she saves all her meat drippings, then dips the steaks in it, then in flour,then fries it. It's not healthy but it sure is good.

dipping eggs really works good. and the oil has to be really hot when you put your meat in it.

Pound slices of meat no more than 1/4" thick. Dip in dry seasoned coating, (I use flour, Progresso Italian flavored bread crumbs, garlic, salt, pepper and onion powder) then in wet (egg/milk mixture) then once more into dry. Let sit on rack a few minutes until it's 'set'. Heat oil so that when you put your meat in, you get a good sizzle. Turn only once. Don't overcrowd your meat. It's better to do in shifts. If your breading is coming off, your oil probably isn't hot enough. I hope this helps. : )

For fried chicken make a brine of 1 Tbsp. of Kosher salt to 1 quart of water. Put in a large bowl lg. enough to cover chicken, and put in frig. for 2hr. to overnight. The longer the chicken is in the brine the more tender and juicy the chicken will be. Use a large zip-lock bag with flour and any spices you might want, add chichen pieces (do not dry) one at a time to flour and shake. Put bag of chicken in frig. for about 30 min. to 1 hr. Shake before frying. Fry in hot oil. Try round steak, same method, also cube steak; no brine. Just make sure it is wet. Beaten egg or water.

I made a really good breaded chicken the other day, but the crust fell off. So after watching a cooking show last night, I realized I forgot to dry the chicken 1st.

Here is what I should have done, maybe this will work for you.

Dry your meat, then dip in flour (seasoning flour is also really yummy), then dip in egg, then dip in your flour, bread crumbs or panko crumbs. I am going to try that next time, I think I did it the last time and it stayed on.

Hope that helps.

Definitely dry the meat first anytime you want to bread something. I always dried my chicken, but I found a kinda cool recipe using chicken breaded with french-fried onions and forgot to dry the chicken and the "breaded onions" fell off. So drying the meat is a must!

IN TEXAS, WE MAKE IT THIS WAY: Purchase tenderized thin sliced top round steaks. If you freeze them, thaw in Fridge over night, then with natural moisture still in tact, dip in Bisquick mix, both sides, once and let it sit on waxed paper until glossy, about 20 min. Dip a second time in the flour and pepper to taste, reserving the salt until AFTER it is cooked. Salt toughens meat while cooking. To 3/4" of Coconut oil heated on medium heat in skillet, lay in meat carefully, and fry fairly quickly but completely, about 2 min. then turn over for 1 min. or until light golden brown. Over-cooking toughens meat. The temp has to be just right or the flour will dissolve. Test with a corner of the meat first. If flour stays on meat, it will fry right. Egg batter can be substituted, but usually makes the batter too hard. We use only this plain flour method seasoned just right, cooked this way only.If not turned often, and a non-stick skillet is used, and heat is proper, you will get the hang of it after a few trials. It's worth the practice, I'm told.

Drain on double paper towels,top and bottom,pressing lightly but removing quickly afterwards to a dry, clean plate before batter sticks to paper, then salt to taste and serve hot with gravy below on the side.

Coconut oil browns and heats very quickly, unlike unhealthy

Crisco, so turn the heat/fire back a notch and watch it carefully so as not to burn food. Do not turn often or disturb. Best to use a TFal skillet to prevent sticking. Done when easily cut with side of fork only, not knife. Do not cover pan, otherwise it will be mushy and not crisp. Pepper flavors the meat. I also like to add a light sprinkle of nutmeg to the meat before frying, as suggested by a restaruant chef I know.

COUNTRY WHITE GRAVY: Save cooking oil after frying. Add about two tablespoons of Bisquick mix flour to med. low Coconut oil and stir until smoothe with no lumps. Prepare to work quickly stirring well, but especially when you add about 1 cup milk to make gravy. It will thicken VERY quickly, so, if this is enough gravy AND not too thick, or thin, remove from heat. If too thick, add a little more milk slowly while stirring until desired consistency. If too thin, cook a little longer until thicker. Gravy should be pourable, not lumpy and then season to taste with salt and pepper. This is a nice forgiveable old South recipe we have enjoyed for years, replacing Crisco with the Coconut Oil sucessfully.

Make sure your oil is hot enough.

TO make fried chicken, dip your chicken in flour with spices of your choice. Then dip the chicken in beaten eggs, then in bread crumbs. Deep fry and voila, perfect fried chicken.

Check out Alton Brown's "Good Eats" on the Food Network web page. He had an entire show about chicken fried steak. I'm pretty sure he dried the meat too. I seem to remember he let it sit for 20 minutes or so after flouring before continuing too.

We use cube steak to make wonderful country fried steak. We go by a recipe of Emeril's and change only slightly. My husband makes the meat and I do the side dishes which are milk gravy, biscuits, mashed potatoes and green beans. Yum, what a delicious meal....probably loaded with cholesterol but yummy none the less!

A friend of mine turns out excellent chicken fried steak by using enough oil in the pan to completely cover the steak. Not healthy, but it works.

The best piece of meat for Chicken Fried Steak is a Minute Steak! I cook in the restaurant business for several years and this is how we made it.

Mix a big batch of flour with some seasoning salt or meat tenderizer.

Mix eggs 3-4 with a smidge of milk.

Put meat in the flour mixture FIRST! Pat in in. Then put it in the egg mixture, then BACK into the flour mix!

Make sure your grease (or I use butter) is hot. I put a pat of butter under each steak on a HOT griddle. Leave the meat alone until there are blood/moisture pools on the top.

Flip the meat onto another pat of butter. Cook until golden brown. THE KEY IS TO FLIP THIS STEAK ONLY ONCE!

Hope you have good luck with this!

Crazimom

Just a road show on FoodNetWork the blond guy with

spikey hair. the went to Oklahoma and had great

chicken fried steak they used cube steak and

the guy made it on the grill not deep fry or use

skillet with little oil not drown it it looked good

Good Luck.

The secret is to turn it only once,if it's not done put in microwave a few minutes, good luck.