Chicken Liver Recipes

Category Poultry
Chicken Liver
There are a variety of flavor filled ways to prepare these nutritious poultry parts. This page contains chicken liver recipes.

You might have had a similar dish at Chinese buffets. I love it. This is my version.

• 1 lb chicken livers
  • 2 Tbsp. oil
  • 1 bunch green onions, sliced on the diagonal, white and green parts
  • 1 cup pineapple tidbits, drained
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce
  • 3/4 cup chicken broth
  • 3/4 cup pineapple juice
  • 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
  • 1 tsp. sesame oil
  • 2 Tbsp. cornstarch

Directions:

Cut the livers in half. Heat the oil, add the livers and green onions, and saute briefly. Add the pineapple and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until the livers are cooked through, and the pineapple slightly browned in places. Mix the liquids, then stir the cornstarch into the liquid, and stir into the pan over low heat. Stir until the sauce is thick and smooth. Garnish with slivered almonds or sesame seeds, if liked. Serve over rice.

By Copasetic 1 from North Royalton, OH

I just love chicken livers. I used to make them pretty much the same way all the time, breaded in flour and herbs then fried. I still like them that way, but I've since found several recipes that I like even better. This is one of them.

• 1 lb. chicken livers
  • 4 Tbsp. flour
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • 1 tsp. Italian seasoning mix
  • 1 Tbsp. olive oil
  • I medium onion, chopped
  • 1 small red pepper, diced
  • 1/2 lb. mushrooms, sliced
  • 1 small green zucchini, cut in half then sliced 1/2 inch thick
  • 1 small yellow squash, cut the same way
  • 1 tsp. thyme
  • 1/4 cup chicken broth

Directions:

Saute the onions and red pepper in olive oil, stirring often. While they are cooking, mix the flour, salt, pepper, and Italian seasonings, and dredge the livers in it. Add to the skillet and brown them. Add the remaining ingredients, except the chicken broth, and saute briefly. Add the broth, cover, and simmer until everything is tender. I like it served with rice and a nice salad.

By Copasetic 1 from North Royalton, OH

Okay, this is time consuming for an appetizer but it's so tasty and worth the effort! I love eating it on sesame flavored melba toast and celery, too! :-)

Directions:

Soak chicken livers in the brandy for 3 to 4 hours in a cool place but not the refrigerator. Drain the livers over a bowl and reserve the liquid.

Saute the shallots in 1 of the butter until wilted. Add the chicken livers, sage, salt and pepper. Saute livers until they are no longer pink inside, about 5 minutes.

Transfer the mixture in to the bowl of a food processor and add remaining butter. Process until mixture is thoroughly combined and smooth. Add the reserved brandy liquid and process for 30 seconds.

Transfer to a covered bowl and refrigerate for about 24 hours before serving. Will keep well for about 3 to 4 days in the refrigerator, but serve at room temperature.

Source: Have been making this for a couple of decades because I didn't want to pay the exorbitant prices for this yummy item at a restaurant anymore, so don't remember where I found the recipe.

By Deeli from Richland, WA

Do you love to eat chicken livers, but hate the mess they make while cooking? Before cooking, poke the livers with a fork a few times, this will stop them from "Popping", and splattering oil all over the place.

By Arle12 from Petersburg, IN

Ingredients

• 1 pound chicken livers
  • 2/3 cup chopped onions
  • 1/3 cup applesauce
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper

Directions

Saute chicken livers for 3 minutes. Add onions, applesauce, and spices. Cook and stir about 5 minutes. Stir in 1/4 cup brandy or whiskey, 1/4 cup heavy cream. Put in blender or food processor until smooth. Refrigerate 1-1 1/2 hours. Whip 1/2 cup butter and blend into cooled liver mixture. Refrigerate for at last 2 hours or until set up some what. Store covered. Serve on crackers or rye bread.

By Jan E from Suring, WI

About 1 hour before serving, in 12 inch skillet over medium heat, cook bacon until well browned. Place bacon to drain on paper towels. In hot drippings in skillet, cook chicken livers until browned, about 5 minutes, turning once.

Can anyone tell me how to fry chicken livers without having grease pop all over. My husband and oldest son love them but I hate fixing them because I get splattered on every time I fry them. I tried boiling first but that didn't work. Help!

Trudy from Springfield, IL

I've fried alot of chicken liver in my life time. I cut them into small sections, roll them in flour, and then lay them in hot grease. I know they pop more if you have the heat too high. You want a small simmer of a fry, not a high fire. Wait for them to get good and brown on one side, before turning. Always use a lid. (or splatter screen), I like glass see through lids. And I always use an iron skillet, it's the best for frying. Always use the lid. They don't take long to fry, and salt and pepper.

I'm southern, and we love to fry. Good luck from KY.

I sauté chicken livers in a frypan with approx 2 Tablespoon of fat (mixture of olive oil & butter)*, a small onion, finely chopped, salt and pepper. A few finely chopped mushrooms are good too. Cook them gently over low heat, stirring occasionally so they don't stick. When almost cooked, you can turn the heat up a bit to brown them, but not too much or they'll be tough. They're done when no longer pink in the middle.

*For different flavor, you can substitute bacon fat for the oil and butter.

Another way to cook chicken livers is to make Bacon-Wrapped Chicken Livers, a great snack or appetizer.. a treat for your family or guests!

(there's a good photo here:http://pinoycoo  -chicken-livers/ but i didn't like the recipe)

A better recipe:

Bacon-Wrapped Chicken Livers

1 pound chicken livers

1 pound partially cooked bacon (see note below)*

Salt and pepper to taste

Dry chicken livers with paper towels. Wrap each 1/2 strip of bacon and skewer with a toothpick. Broil in oven approximately 5 to 6 minutes, turning once. Test for doneness by cutting into a chicken liver with a sharp pointed knife.

*Note: to figure out how much bacon, count the chicken livers and use one slice of bacon for every 2 chicken livers. E.g. for 10 chicken livers, you'd need 5 slices of bacon.

I also have a recipe for Chicken Liver Paté if you're interestd. Nice spread on crackers or bread.

I don't think you can keep them from popping. However, a splatter screen or lid on the skillet will work to cut down on the mess. Hope this helps.

I read somewhere that if you poke them numerous times with a fork before frying that will help with the popping when frying them. I haven't tried this yet myself but I too love chicken liver so if you try it let us know if it works.

never stick them with a fork while frying.

First, make certain they are as dry as possible. Use a good quality, heavy paper towel to absorb fluids (no paper napkins!). Second, invest in a low-cost spatter shield (net-like flat disk that goes over top of pan). Then use a folding spatter shield around three sides of pan. (This is an aluminum, three-part standing shield.) It's also good to wear a hot mitt that comes almost up to the elbow for the hand doing the stirring. After once getting all this gear together, it will become automatic the next time you need to fry something. The shields are great in keeping the rest of the stove clean, too. Have fun and enjoy! (Tried Worchestershire sauce with them??? Yum!)

Due to splatters, I do as much pan frying as possible in an electric skillet on the back porch.

thanks for the responses, I will certainly give them a try. Will let you know which ones work the best.

Invert a colander over the frying pan unless you have one of those spatter guard things you use for bacon, etc.

I oven-fry regular chicken and chicken livers and don't have to worry about grease popping.

Pre-heat your oven to about 350 degrees. Line a large cookie pan with foil. Melt about 1/2 stick of butter or margarine in the pan. Season and flour your livers. Place in melted butter and cook for 15 minutes, then turn over and cook for another 15 minutes.

For chicken pieces, flour and season and cook on one side for 30 minutes and turn over and cook for another 30 minutes.

It's not as crispy as frying but it does make a good flaky crust. It's also less fat. It's healthier and delicious!

I saw on the Food Network that if you poke some holes in them the splatter should decrease.