Chicken Pulling Out Its Feathers

There are several reasons that a chicken may be pulling out its feathers. Some careful investigation and a good understanding of how to successfully raise chickens will help you determine the cause. This is a guide about chicken pulling out its feathers.

May 4, 2007 Flag

My chickens are molting at the moment. My concern is that one of the hens is pulling out her own feathers! Should I be concerned or is this normal. I only have five hens and they don't seem to have any lice causing them this strange behavior. The only feathers left on her are her wings and head. What a sight! Can anyone please help?

Carolyn from South Africa

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I don't know if this helps or not, but my in-laws African Gray parrot would do this. It was young, and attributed to nervous behavior, it had to go through a long move (they were building a home) and any change in it's environment would set it off. May be just a nervous chicken. Do you have vets that are in the area for livestock?

Pets BirdsMay 30, 2013
Parakeet
Parakeet Losing Its Feathers
Feather Kids Craft
Crafts Using Feathers
Feather
Decorating With Feathers
Cute Little Girl in Chicken Costume
Making a Chicken Costume
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 26, 2017 at 9:33:22 AM on 10.0.2.145 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.