Child Support Payments and Social Security

My son pays court ordered child support. If he is awarded SSD, can the mother take both? The mother does not work and we had the baby a total of 8 months out of 2009. Can my son claim her on his taxes?

By PATRIC from Orlando, FL

Answers:

Get free legal advice from this website. Make sure you mention the state you are in.

family.findlaw.com (01/20/2010)

By Lorelei

I will just tell you what happened with me. I applied for SSD and was granted. I inquired about child support to find out if the amount could be increased or anything else could happen to help out. I was granted an additional amount of SSD which was mailed directly to my ex, I had to pay the difference between the granted amount of child support and the amount SS was sending her.

The best person to talk about concerning this is your Social Security Agent. (01/20/2010)

By Suntydt

Like the other responder I believe that there are benefits for dependent children. You may be able to receive medicaid for the child's health insurance, food, energy, and rent assistance as well. The tax issue is handled per your custody agreement.

My first instinct is to tell you to amend the custody agreement with the mother. It seems to me she is reaping all of the benefits without assuming much of the responsibility. Call a lawyer and find out what your rights are. (01/21/2010)

By lostinthe

The person who's had physical custody of the child should be the one to claim him or her on their taxes. You should also be able to get $$ from the Earned Income Tax Credit for the child. However, every situation is different. I'd ask either the child support agency, Social Security agent, or both.
Or, if you can afford to talk to a lawyer, you can do that. Thanks for the idea on additional $$ to cover child support, Suntydt. Hubby's paying arrears for a grown child, I'll mention this to him. (01/23/2010)

By JustPlainJo

Child Support Payments and Social Security, Paper entitled Child Support Hearing.
Couple getting SSI help.
Finding a Good Social Security Attorney
Family law folder on desk
Can SSI Be Garnished for Child Support?
Social Security Paperwork
Preparing for a Social Security Hearing
Social Security Card
Filing for Social Security
🎉
🎄