Chinese Shar Pei Breed Information and Photos

Chinese Shar-Pei
A medium-sized, muscular dog, that is easily distinguished by its wrinkles and folds on its face and body. This guide contains Chinese Shar Pei breed information and photos.

Breed Description: The Chinese Shar-Pei is a medium-sized, muscular dog, easily distinguished by its harsh coat and the wrinkles and folds that cover its face and body. These wrinkles once served to keep the breed from being pinned down during dogfights. Today the Shar-Pei is prized for its friendly nature and independent spirit.

Group: Non-Sporting group.

Purpose of Breed: Originally thought be to bred for dog fighting

Country of Origin: China

Average Size: Range from 18-20 inches and 35-45 pounds.

Color(s): Solid colors only, typically black, red, chocolate, cream or fawn.

Coat Type: A distinguishing feature of this breed is its extremely harsh coat that stands straight out from the body. Coat lengths can range from being extremely short to one inch in length

Grooming: Regular brushing of the coat is required. Their eyes and ears need to be given extra care due to their folded skin.

Exercise Needs: This independentl-minded breed requires plenty of regular exercise and should be kept on a lead or safely within a fenced backyard.

Temperament: The Chinese Shar-Pei is a highly intelligent breed and extremely loyal and devoted to his family. This breed has a dominant and independent nature that is calm and dignified, yet aloof and snobbish at the same time. Naturally reserved around strangers, the Chinese Shar-Pei makes a good watch dog.

Common Ailments: Susceptible to skin and eyelid problems.

Life Expectancy: Averages 8-10 years.

Trivia: The name "Shar-Pei" means "sand-skin," or loosely translated, "Rough, sandy coat," which are distinguishing characteristics of the breed. Along with the Chow Chow, the Shar-Pei is the only dog to sport a blue-black tongue.

More Information: Chinese Shar-Pei Club of America, Inc., www.cspca.com

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

Heineken Jones is an 11 year old miniature Shar-Pei. I got Heineken from my husband as a Christmas present. He loves to play ball when it is nice and breezy out. Shar-Peis get over heated easily, so it has to be nice out. He also loves to lay around by the pool.

Heineken is a snuggler and loves that. He is also very hard to sleep with as he is a big snorer. Yes, he snores loud. He is a momma's boy. He loves me and I love him. He is very affectionate and very passive, however he is very protective of me. He minds his manners when he is in public.

By Sandra

Heineken (Miniature Shar-Pei)

Comment Like this photo? 9

This Shar Pei was abandoned in our front yard. He had a ring around his neck from being tethered and was so afraid he wouldn't get out from under the low lying trees. It took weeks to build trust and incorporate Sargent Leo into our pack. We love him so much and consider him a great gift from the universe!

By Pack Leader from Newnan, GA

Closeup of dog on lawn.

Comment Like this photo? 4

Mattie (previously known as Mudslide) is about 6. She is a rescue pup. I got her at the Humane Society last August.

She likes to sniff for critters when taking walks.

She has suffered multiple losses, a mate, 2 owners, a litter of puppies. She lines up her stuffed animals in a row every night after grooming them. I guess she is putting them to bed. Then she lies down next to them to sleep.

By Barbara from Fort Lauderdale, FL

Mattie (Shar Pei)

Comment Like this photo? Yes

Bailey-Mae is my 2 1/2 year old Shar-Pei. She lives with me in Philly, PA. She likes to swim, chase cats and ride in the car! In this picture, she was sitting in the drivers seat in the car and was in mid-lick!

Caitlin

Bailey-Mae (Shar-Pei)

Comment Like this photo? Yes

Hunk is 11 years old and a Chinese Shar Pei. I bought her in 1997 in West Virginia.

When we go for walks, she runs ahead of me, then turns around, puts her front feet down and tries to get me to chase her. At night, she sneaks on the couch, when she thinks no one is looking. She is getting hard of hearing and seeing, but she still tries to act like a puppy.

By Erika from Tallahassee, FL

Hunk (Chinese Shar Pei)

Comment Like this photo? Yes

Dakota is my 4 month old Shar-Pei. I got her from a breeder in Portland, Oregon. She likes to play with a plastic water bottle in the kitchen cause it slides all around when she bats at it. I am very grateful to have found her. I never thought I would find a Shar-Pei dog. They are a rare dog to find. She has skin problems that can be a high risk to her health if she is not monitored. Oregon weather is not the best for them because of the humidty. But I am taking every pre-caution to make sure she can live a long and healthy life.

By Lonnie from Silverton, OR

Dakota (Shar-Pei)

Comment Like this photo? Yes