General AdviceConsumer Advice

Choosing Between a Digital Adapter or a New TV

I need to know if I should I get a digital adapter and antenna for 80.00 or get a new TV for 120.00? What do you think?

By Sandy S.

If you can afford the $40 difference, go for the new TV - more features than the box (HD reception isn't always on the box) and better reception as everything is built in to the telly.

Buying the telly also means one remote for everything TV related - a lot of boxes need a separate remote even though the package states it can be configured to the TV, that isn't always true+often after a retune (which usually needs doing about once a week for optimum viewing) you have to reprogramme the box remote to the telly - but if you've lost your code book...

The retune on the TV is a lot easier if reception is through the TV instead of through the box to the TV, and most TVs pick up more channels than the box.

I had the box (given by a friend), it did eke out the life of my CRT TV but I learned all of the above the hard way and finally used a work bonus to buy a flat panel with built-in digital. Great telly and SO much easier than that box!