Choosing Colors for Kitchen Walls

Our new kitchen will have: maple cabinets stained ginger, very pale cream/taupe tile with light brown/tan markings, and brown and peach granite counter tops. What paint colors would go?

Jaye from Toronto, Ontario

Answers:

Choosing Colors for Kitchen Walls

How about a pale sage green, or a soft robin's egg? (03/12/2008)

By perfume and powder

Choosing Colors for Kitchen Walls

I'd use the same color as the cupboards except 2 shades darker (if the room is large) or one shade lighter (if the room is very small). Don't use the same shade as the cupboards. Another idea: Ginger is basically "orange" or "peach", and the compliment of Ginger is Blue or blue-green. You could use a "robin's egg blue" as Perfumed Fan suggested, but be sure the blue you pick has a touch of gray in it, this will tone it down so it won't look "juvenile". Also, any green will work, dark, light, olive, sage, or hunter. Another idea would be a washable vinyl wallpaper that LOOKS like grass-cloth. This would give the room texture. (03/12/2008)

By Cyinda

Choosing Colors for Kitchen Walls

I too have been investigating paint color choices. From what I've read, the paint color is chosen not only by what is already in your room, but also by the amount of sunshine it receives, the size of the room, and the colors of adjoining rooms. If you want to make your kitchen look larger, make the walls the same shade as the cabinets only slightly lighter.

Otherwise, I think you can't go wrong with the pale cream that is included in the counter top coloration. Always remember that when you put the color on the wall, it looks darker. So you might want to go one shade lighter if you use the cream. Best of luck. (03/17/2008)

By Carol in PA