Choosing Wedding Flowers

Your flowers do not have to be expensive to be beautiful. Shop around and compare prices as well as quality, to find the best deals. This guide is about choosing wedding flowers.

May 1, 2007 Flag

I saw an old movie the other night and in it a bride was walking down the aisle with a bouquet of 3 or 4 large lilies. They looked like those day lilies you often see reproduced, tied with a bow, and held sideways cradled in the bride's arm. What a charming simple idea, I thought. You could do the same with any sort of white lilies and they are in season during June and July too.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 4 Comments

September 4, 2008 Flag

The florist bill can add up very quickly. Rather than spending a huge amount of your wedding budget on centerpieces check out the local farmers markets and neighborhood gardeners!

For our August outdoor wedding, we picked up large potted mums in our wedding colors for only $2.00 each. For the same amount we would have spent on one centerpiece from the florist, we were able to buy 30 mums which we randomly placed throughout the yard and around the "altar".

For each of the tables in the reception tent, we bought gladiolas and various other flowers from an elderly lady in our neighborhood. Including the vases we picked up from the dollar store, our centerpieces only cost us $30.00. Be sure to buy a bouquet and chat with any neighborhood growers the previous season and mention you are interested in using their flowers at your wedding. We did and she surprised us by reserving a special area in her garden just with our colors!

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 3 Comments

July 7, 2006 Flag

We are using silk flowers to do our flower arrangements. The bouquets for the bride, attendants, groom, and best men will also be silk. The wedding cake will be outstanding in silks and will stand on a wedding cloth.

By Bev S. from Chilliwack, BC

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 2 Comments

April 4, 2005 Flag

When shopping for live wedding flowers, do some homework! Shop around and compare prices as well as quality to find the best deals. Sometimes cheapest doesn't mean the best quality and vice versa so shopping around is worth a little time and trouble.

By Robin

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 1 Comment

January 17, 2011 Flag

My bridesmaids are wearing wine, what color flowers will go with that?

By Jen from OH

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Almost any color can be beautiful with wine, Make certain the wine is a deep shade though. And please stay away from navy and white with wine because many times it turns out like red white and blue. If you are not careful it will look like a political fund raiser.

You do not need to match the wine color in the bouquets. try complimentary colors and I suggest fresh flowers. They are less expensive and really make an occasion special. Follow your taste and make the wedding your own. I have been a florist for 45 years and have done weddings almost every weekend during that time.

Thanks Everyone! I'm now thinking I am going to go with a soft pink and white flower. All of my girls are wearing Wine. This has been really hard for me, choosing the accent colors and my wedding is only 3 months away!

What time of year is the wedding? If you are having fresh flowers, some of your choices will be determined by what is in season. If you are having silks, then this is not an issue. Always remember this: don't go with the same color as the dresses, or in the pictures, the colors will blend right in and you won't be able to see the bouquets. Have you considered stargazer lilies? Google it and see what you think. They are amazing and have outstanding fragrance. How about little bundles of lily of the valley? Dendrobium orchids are also a great choice.

January 23, 2005 Flag

I am getting married in june 2005 and I don't know about flowers. What flowers do I use for a june wedding? What flowers should I put in the aisle and use for the banquet. I am lost with flowers but my mother wants flowers. I don't want to spend too much money.

Jennifer from Texas

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Thanks for all the great ideas everyone, as I am also getting married June 2005.

June- August Weddings are so convenient for using outdoor flowers for decorating. When my son married I had friends who let me get real Ivy, Magnolias and Magnolia leaves,which we used with Hurricane globes and a taper candle. My neighbor Miracle Grow'ed the ferns she had until the wedding and they were HUGE and beautiful. Fresh cut garden bouquets would be beautiful in a cluster tied with a ribbon.Or fresh garden flowers in a clear TALL fishbowl with a ribbon tied around it . The point I'm making is FREINDS LOVE to share the beautiful flowers from their gardens.And believe me it saves a fortune on florist bill plus you have a real sense of pride in knowing That YOU did it!!!

How do you attach flowers to folding chairs at an outdoor wedding ceremony?

August 15, 2008 Flag

I am planning a spring wedding. I need a lot of stuff and I was wondering on the prices for flowers. I need 14 boutonnières and 8 corsages and two center pieces for the church all real and then fake 7 boutonnières. The colors are cornflower blue and yellow and I don't know what flowers I want.

Stephanie

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Think about "live" rose and flower alternatives. Research wooden roses for weddings. They are more economical and last a lifetime as keepsakes. You can start to purchase now and make your corsages, boutonierres, centerpieces, favors, even your bouquets. They can be stored right up to your wedding day. Wooden roses are more realistic looking than silk.

If you know someone who does flower arrangements there is this website that sells all kinds of flowers very inexpensively. Or if you want to make them yourself! Try www.freshroses.com Hello from New Mexico!

http://simplyclassiccreations.com/

http://simplycl  brides_2007_2008

When my daughter and I were planning her wedding last year, we initially got a price of 750$ for real flowers. My daughter was in a little sticker shock even though we paid for her day. I showed her this site and we ended up getting all the flowers from this young lady. She does beautiful work and were very pleased. We got a bridal bouquet, 2 bridesmaids bouquets, 10 corsages, 10 boutoniers for roughly $200. I don't know where she gets her flowers, but I didn't see anything remotely close in Michaels or AC Moore. They were very rich looking and photographed very nicely. If you look at the links I sent, my daughter is Kira, but all of the flowers and young women look great with *their* flower selections. Elza does beautiful work and I highly recommend her!

July 19, 2011 Flag

We are having a spring wedding. The week after Easter to be exact and the church is filled with lilies and tulips during this time. We have gone with the pink, purple, and green approach because these seemed to be the Easter pastel colors. I have been searching for flowers but I am unsure of what would look good together and the combination to use. Any ideas?

By Bethany

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You could also use yellow in that mix. There are roses in all colors, carnations in all colors and they can also be dyed. Irises are also a spring flower, daisies. There are all kinds of flowers in the colors you named. Have you consulted a florist? Basically it is a matter of what you like.

I like pink carnations, irises, there is small one called Siberian Iris, take white carnations and spray with green coloring too if you want. Happy wedding day!

I think I'd mirror what is in the church with lillies & tulips in the same colors but it is a matter of what appeals to you.

May 24, 2006 Flag

I have a wedding this December 2006. I'm having some trouble deciding what kind of flowers and color of flowers to use as my center pieces. I was thinking about using cala lilies but I don't know if they would look okay since the colors of my wedding are Aqua and chocolate brown. I also don't want to use white flowers as my bouquet because I don't like the way white flowers look against my ivory gown. If there is anyone that could give me some ideas please do.

Thanks,
Candy from Mercedes TX

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

What about edible chocolate centerpieces? I've seen all kinds of stuff made from chocolate at weddings and on a cruise I went on. Maybe you could carry chocolate flowers... or maybe you would end up with chocolate on your dress.

My daughter did her wedding 3 yrs ago and the church was decorated for Christmas, with all kinds of Poinsettias, so we chose the poinsettias but did pastel pink, aqua , silver ivory etc. We used for reception too. They come in big med. and small, most had irridescent sparkle. We found them at Hobby lobby, Michaels' and garden ridge. Spent about 300 on them used terra cotta clay pots painted silver with big ivory colored bows for center pieces. Every one thought we had a professional do the flowers we were proud for sure. Make Christmas work for your wedding remember ivory is winter white.

My wedding is in Sept 2006 and my colors are aqua and chocolate brown as well. I am using cala lilies as my flower too. Nice choice of colors and flowers:) Check out the Captain Rodin cala lilie for your bouquet. I think it would look great with your ivory gown. Congrats and good luck!

January 4, 2007 Flag

I'm trying to save money on my wedding by creating my own flower arrangements. Any ideas where I can get the flowers from?

Thanks,
Abi

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You may want to consider thinking outside the box. I got married in September. My attendants did not carry flowers, but candles. I found these beautiful candle flutes that resemble champagne glasses. You put a long taper candle in it and just a simple silk ribbon on the stem. It was very classy looking...AND CHEAP. I actually did my own flowers using somewhat expensive silk roses. They were about $1.00 each. I set them in a bouquet and wrapped their stems in white ribbon w/ many ribbons dangling off. I think the whole thing cost about $12.00 - not bad compared to the $500.00 bouquets the local florist would do.

At my wedding(s) - I (1) went to our flower market & got flowers of the season & arranged them in florists foam in baskets I got at thrift shops & put them on the table - made my own bouquet (I now know you can get holders for that in craft stores) & bought boutonnières/corsages for the wedding party. At (2) I got bouquets for me -the bride, my sister - the matron of honor and my nieces - the bridesmaids at a florist. I got flowers from the supermarket & had my nieces collect the queen Anne's lace that was all around wild! We then made flower arrangements in all the Middle Eastern glass I had gotten from my godmother. We were in a backyard - so we bought lilies from a garden center and used them to create an altar area & then planted them in the garden afterwards!

I made corsages and bouteniers (or however it's spelled) from two dozen roses I bought at the grocery store. For my bouquet and my bridesmaids bouquets, I called a florist and told her I wanted pink flowers and how much I wanted to spend and she made some pretty bouquets that were affordable. I didn't have my heart set on any certain type of flower, just the color, so being flexible paid off.

May 17, 2012 Flag

My daughter's wedding will be March of 2013. She has chosen precious metals as her color scheme: bronze, gold, and pewter and wants cream calla lilies. We would like candles and flowers at the reception tables. What type and color flowers would you recommend?

By Vicky

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

The cream calla lillies will work as well as cream colored candles. Actually any color of flowers and candles will work with metal colors. As to type of flower, that could be any kind that she wants.

I think sunflowers would match also lillies work too lol

December 4, 2009 Flag

My wedding colors are chocolate, pink, and cream. I was wondering if someone has suggestions on flowers and flower colors.

By partyhappy99 from Van Buren, ME

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Pink roses or carnations. I'm sure your florist could even recommend some cream colored ones. As far as the chocolate, it wouldn't surprise me if florists would have some floral spray in that color. If you want to do silk ones, some of the larger hobby/craft stores might have chocolate colored silks.

As a silk wedding flower designer and a wedding planner of almost 10 years I would suggest the following; Chocolate Cosmos, mixed with either pink and/or cream roses, peonies, or ranunculus. You could also mix in pink or cream calla lilies, or tulips. Depending on when your wedding is and the level of formality I would be happy to give you more detailed suggestions.

March 22, 2012 Flag

Is there away you can make a three flower bridal bouquet, using silk roses?

By Robin

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Yes, there are ways to make one. If alone and no greenery, just tie a ribbon around them just to cover stems from the bottom of leaves to end of stems. You then take the ribbon and make sure you cover stem tips and wrap up to the stems.

You can put a simple regular bow on it as well. You can also adorn it with string faux pearls. You can find these at any sewing center by the ribbons. You cut the pearls to match length of ribbon for bow or to make sure bow stays use a lapel pin (broach) style and use that for center of bow for something old.

February 25, 2015 Flag

I am getting married at the end of August of this year. This will be an outdoor wedding and I would like to use stargazer lilies, but am not sure if they would last in the heat. I really want them at least in my bouquet and the girls. I am not sure about the boots or corsages yet. What do you think?

By Donna D

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 20, 2006 Flag

I am planning my wedding for June 07' and I am interested in having tulips at the wedding. Everyone keeps telling me that they are out of season and that they will be expensive. Does anyone know if they are available for the first week in June and how much they cost?

Thank you,
Susan from New Jersey

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Use silk ones. We did for our daughters May wedding and everyone thought they were real.

I think you are living dangerously.

If I were you, I'd get plastic and silk tulips. These can be potted in baskets or clay pots, given away as party favors, donated, used in the garden on the porch... later on.

If Mother Nature doesn't co-operate, you will have spent a great deal of money and nothing to show for it.

Weddings FlowersAugust 9, 2013
Plant wedding favors.
Giving Plants as Wedding Favors
Growing your own wedding flowers.
Growing Your Own Wedding Flowers
Colorful Bridal Bouquets
Choosing Wedding Colors
Selecting Valentine's Day Flowers, A bouquet of fresh cut roses for Valentine's Day
Selecting Valentine's Day Flowers
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 15, 2017 at 9:30:17 PM on 10.0.1.105 in 5 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.