Choosing a Baby Name

Choosing Baby Names
Choosing the perfect name for your baby can be daunting. This is a guide about choosing a baby name.

These tips are my opinions.

Don'ts:

Do's:

By garnetgirl9 from Stoughton, WI

My husband is a teacher so he was VERY particular about just what baby names would do - traditional, easy to spell, difficult to mock, wasn't the name of a difficult student he'd had, etc. I wanted a name that wasn't common or fussy and would look good on a business card. It also needed to flow when you had to yell their entire name across the playground or grocery store - lol!

When we named our children we ended up starting with their middle names, then picked first names that we liked that went well with them. My mother passed away when I was a kid, so I really wanted to name my daughter after her, but didn't like my mother's first name - so I gave my daughter my mother's middle name, Eve (my mother was born on Christmas Eve).

For my second child, a son, we had an easy time picking the middle name. Both my father and my father-in-law shared the same middle name. My son's middle name became, William, after both his grandfathers.

If my third child had been a girl we would have used my mother-in-law's first name for her middle name and named her Katherine Elaine, but since I was having a boy, we asked my mother-in-law to choose his middle name. The funny thing was that I knew she'd wanted to name my husband Michael but didn't get her way, so I was SURE she would choose Michael. After months of debating, looking through the family tree, and asking friends what they thought, guess what she ended up choosing? My youngest son's middle name is Michael.

Admittedly, if our family names hadn't been to my liking, I might not have gone this route, but it was really important to me to give the kids some history in their names. The kids all think it's really neat that they're named for their grandparents, and of course, their grandparents think it's pretty special too. :)

By Stephanie from Hillsboro, OR

I can only share our experience with choosing a baby name.

On my side of the family, my grandfather was a Wallace, my father had the middle name Wallace. I was named after my grandfather so I was a 2nd. My family thought I should continue the tradition with Wallace as a first or middle name. Personally I hate the name Wallace, so my side of the family was slightly disappointed, but they accepted the name we chose.

On my wife's side of the family, her father really wanted a grandson named Gary Allen. Not really sure why, but he was pretty adamant if we had a son we should name him that. The only problem would be my last name is Lam so my son's initials would be GAL. Knowing how mean kids can be given ANY ammunition, that name was totally out of the picture. So my father-in-law was not happy.

What my wife and I decided was we needed names for our kids that didn't give other children ammo for abuse. It needed to be a name that the child would be happy with the rest of their life. But more importantly, it would be a name that had meaning for us and eventually them. A name that was distinct and strong to support their character. I grew up with what I considered a wishy-washy name and felt my self-esteem was vulnerable because of it.

So, consider family names, consider names that family members offer, consider what some of the nicknames could be for your child as they grow, but ultimately realize that choosing a name for your child AND HOW IT IS SPELLED is one of the most important decisions you are going to make for your child. They have to live with it the rest of their life.

If you have NO ideas for names and no one in your family makes any offers, there are MANY name books and websites for choosing names. They also give the general meaning of the name. If you are really pressed for a name and can't get on the internet or go to a book store there is a book you can reference right in your own house (almost every house has one). It's called a phone book and it is FULL of names. :)

Source: 3 children

By Suntydt from Tazewell, TN

My daughter-in-law and son can't seem to agree on anything. What is a good way to choose a baby name?

By HELPme911

I suspect they're going to just have to work it out and find a way to overcome this impasse. I had a "boy" name I loved, but couldn't come up with any girl names. I bought books and looked up meanings, and thought of things that I enjoy or mean a lot to me. I enjoy mythology, but didn't find any names I'd want for my child. I considered giving our daughter a Japanese name, but my husband didn't love any I came up with. He offered up some names. I hated some of them, but one stuck. We just had to work together.

Of course being from the south we use family names. My sons daddy is James and mine is Tammie. Even before we knew if hed be a boy or girl we decided the baby would be called TJ, so when we found out he was a boy James was a given and we picked a list of boy names starting with a T and decided on Trevor. If he had been a girl it would have been Tessa Jo, Jo after my mom. And my mom gave all us kids the same initals as our dad, and my grandmaw did the same with my dad and his brothers and sisters.

Sounds familiar. When I was expecting my husband and I set up some ground rules that we both did agree on. Our rules were: no names of anyone we knew, no names from the bible (had a lot of those already in the family), only traditional spellings but non-traditional names OK. We each picked out 10 names for each gender and then traded lists. From those we had veto power on 5 from the other person's list. This left us with 10 boys and 10 girls names. We sat on those a while and then could narrow it down to 2 or 3 of each sex. In the end we agreed on a first and middle from our short list. Biggest rule: take suggestions from no one and tell no one of our choices. May not work for everyone but it did for us. Didn't help when we had to pick a color to paint the house though! :-}

Before we had our daughter, my husband and I decided that if it was a boy, he would pick the name and if it was a girl, I would. I stuck with that, I wanted her to be named Perri Charlene. My husband hated that name. So, when I was about 6 to 7 months pregnant, he said that we could name another Perri in one way or another, then we went through the baby books, searched online, asked friends and family their opinions. At last, we decided on Rowyn. Being from an Irish background, it is a beautiful name, has a great meaning, and I picked how it was spelled. (My own name being spelled differently and all). I know its hard, but as a parent, especially when someones mind is made up. Good luck, grandma! And congratulations!

This is enjoyable part to be a new parent. I think it nice if both parent decided what they want name for the baby. For me its best to get from a bible or think names that related to the parents.