Choosing a Countertop Color

Choosing a Countertop Color

Here is a picture of my new kitchen cupboards, red oak--stained and shiny finish. The back wall tiles are white, the sink will also be white. The floor is yet to be chosen as well as the paint. Which of these two countertops is best? The darker rough finish with specks of same color as the cupboards and contrast to the wall tiles and sink, OR the lighter one with specks of white to match the wall and sink but contrast the cupboards? Please help as we need to decide today--awaiting our order! Thanks so much!

Anna from Montreal, Canada

Answers:

Choosing a Countertop Color

The beige. (06/14/2007)

Choosing a Countertop Color

I like the dark counter but it may clash too much with the white sink and appliances. (06/15/2007)

By Carol

Choosing a Countertop Color

I like the darker one best. (06/15/2007)

By Jean

Choosing a Countertop Color

I like the lighter one. I think that a kitchen should have a light and airy feeling. (06/15/2007)

By Judi

Choosing a Countertop Color

I'd pick the dark one - I had a kitchen with almost the exact countertop, with oak cabinets. I painted the walls a reddish/burgundy color. It was very rich looking. (06/15/2007)

By Elizabeth

Choosing a Countertop Color

I like the darker shade. I recently totally remodeled my kitchen (because of Hurricane Rita damage) and used light oak cabinets, darker veined countertop, tannish/yellow paint, and Du Pont hickory sand plank laminate floors. (I have black appliances). Love the look! (06/15/2007)

By M Dearmon

Choosing a Countertop Color

The dark. And I would paint the walls a burgundy color. Good luck. (06/15/2007)

By sherri

Choosing a Countertop Color

I'm too practical and health conscious to go with a darker color. I'd want whatever I could bleach and keep spotless. The darker is in style now, but will likely hide what should be cleaned away. Good luck and God bless you. : ) (06/16/2007)

By Lynda

Choosing a Countertop Color

I like the lighter color, especially if your kitchen is small like mine. God bless you! (06/16/2007)

By tedsmom

Choosing a Countertop Color

I strongly prefer the darker shade because it contrasts with the white tiling in your backsplash. I like a light kitchen, but I think too much white can make it look clinical and cold, like a hospital. I feel the beige will give it a warm, inviting appearance.

Best of luck. (06/16/2007)

By Carol in PA

Choosing a Countertop Color

I think the darker one is more of the "safe" choice. HOWEVER, I am a fan for light colors. I live in Alaska and always choose light over dark, since we have so MUCH dark. So I would go with the green, it would give me pleasure to see the pretty color each morning. I think either goes fine with the tile and wood. Good luck! You new kitchen will be pretty either way. (06/17/2007)

By kelly

Choosing a Countertop Color

The lighter color. The dark counter makes the kitchen too drab. (06/17/2007)

By Lily May

Choosing a Countertop Color

I'd choose the darker one because the lighter one would show stains, like coffee or tea. (06/18/2007)

By Connie from Canada

Choosing a Countertop Color

General rule for cabinets/counters - if your cabinets are dark, use a light color for the counter, and if your cabinets are light, use a dark color. You need the contrast. Check out the kitchen displays in your local Home Depot, Lowe's, or whatever you have nearby for a better idea of how colors look together. It's hard to tell from those little samples, so seeing it all complete can be very helpful. (06/18/2007)

By Beth

Choosing a Countertop Color

Dark will show dust! Keep it neutral colors. Your tile is where you can get fancy. (02/22/2008)

By Kathy

Choosing a Countertop Color

Your two choices are somewhat extreme alternatives--maybe something in between? I am in a similar spot and am finding myself looking for the in-between that doesn't blend in too much. I am installing hickory cabinets--wild grain patterns--so I want something very low key pattern-wise. The floor is fairly light. I think I will go for something about the tone of the darker areas of the cabinet wood. (05/24/2008)

By Hobart

Choosing a Countertop Color
Kitchen Countertop
Kitchen Countertop Color Advice
Colorful Bridal Bouquets
Choosing Wedding Colors
A woman coloring her hair.
Choosing a Hair Color to Complement Skin Tone and Eye Color
Yellow Bathroom Floor
Bathroom Floor Color Advice
🎄