Choosing a Good Vacuum Cleaner

Red Vacuum Cleaner
Purchasing a vacuum cleaner can be a major investment. Even if you are looking for a lower cost unit, you still want the best product for you money. This is a guide about choosing a good vacuum cleaner.

Bagless vacuums, like the Dyson, reduce the overall cost of using your vacuum considerably. This is a guide about buying a bagless vacuum.

Bagless Vacuum

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

I am looking to purchase a new vacuum. I currently have a Bissell upright, and after a year it has worn out. It has no suction, and I have cleaned all of the filters and it made no difference. I went through the owners manual and can't figure out what's wrong. It is now making a rattling noise. I don't know if it is worth the money to repair. But I think I spent like $150 on it! Grrr!

I am willing to pay more for a vacuum that will actually last a few years. I am thinking of an Oreck or a Dyson. Does anyone have one of these, and how do you like them?

Thanks!

MaryKay from Marengo, IL

I LOVE my Dyson! I can't even recall how many vacuums I have owned that pooped out on me after a short time. I've had my Dyson for two years, and it works as good as it did the first day. It is also really easy to empty without a mess. You just bring the canister out to the trash bin, push the release lever, and all the dirt comes out of the bottom. Also, every time I vacuum, my house gets a "new" smell, sort of like new car smell. It's worth the extra money.

I own a Dyson "animal". I LOVE IT. Not only is it beautiful, but it works great. I vacuumed my floor once I got it, and it was full before I finished. I vacuumed it again, another full canister. It has made me a vacuum "snob". I help cleaning at friends/familys' and I get so frustrated that theirs don't work as well.

The number one reason to buy a dyson: It is set up so the consumer can fix it. It comes with a large manual and pieces that come off with the push of a button, for cleaning and unclogging. It is also bagless, so you never have to go to the store looking for the right bag size, and pay those prices each time. So, no "upkeep" charges$$$$$. Save the earth one bag at a time! hehee, I am so silly.

My daughter is looking to buy a new vacuum cleaner and wants a powerful vacuum that will do a good job on cat hair. She has two cats. Any suggestions for her on what to buy from someone who is really happy with their vacuum on animal hair. Thanks.

By Betty from Philadelphia, PA

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Has anyone tried the vacuum that cleans with water that are seen on TV? You buy one and get the second for shipping and handling? I know my mother used to have one called Rex Air and they are now called Rainbow.

Martha from Savannah, TN

I have a rainbow and it works great. You should see all the gunk in the water. I find I don't use it much anymore because I have a central vac. It works great for the car and the van. I did get tired of emptying the water thing. I guess I'm just too lazy. I remember that I spent way too much money on it. It was a door to door sales thing at the time. That was about twenty years ago now. It does work well though.

I have a Rainbow and love it. I now have hardwood floors but use the floor tool. I have carpeted bedrooms. I also have a cat and it gets all the hair. It also has a attachment that blows up air mattresses and balloons. I have an old strainer that I use for emptying it. I take it to the yard and drain it through the strainer and dump the residue into a plastic bag, tie it up and throw it in the trash. No problem for me.

I worked in Environmental Services at a hospital years ago.. we used

the Rainbow vacume. We had to stop working 45 minutes early every day to allow time to clean up the machine of coarse that included the time it took to go between floors but it still took an

excessive amount of time to clean etc.

Hi all,

My hubby was selling them about 10 years ago. I love my rainbow. I didn't buy a new one, who could afford that. No we bought one used from a lady locally. I love it. No nasty smells when vacuuming. It gets all the nasty stuff caught in the water. I then dump it out out side on the grass over some news papers. Water rolls away and the rest I roll up and trhow in the garbage a quick swish and it is all clean.

My sister can come over now. She could never come to my house because of the cat dander. But you can do an air wash and it cleans the air. It is an awesome machine especially for those with allergies.

They are always selling on ebay. And even check with your local vacuum repair guy.

good luck!! If you want more info on them write me and I will find out from hubby.

Laura

I really like my rainbow, but as others have said it has to be emptied and cleaned, but well worth the extra effort, because you can see if your carpets need shampooing, just by looking at the water.

I am a homemaker for the elderly and 1 of my clients has 1 of these, dont know what brand tho. I found it to be a nuisense to attach the hose, change the "nozzles" to do different areas such as hard wood and carpet, and to dump and clean the canister. It works great, but would not get one for myself for all the hassles.

I've owned a Rainbow Vac for 22 years. Sure you have to empty the water container and occasionally clean the metal "thingy" with a toothbrush. But how hard is that? The cleaning tools, I thought, were like any other for a vacuum...you change from a beater bar for carpet, a different one for other floors then the attachments for crevice tool, small brush and upholstery. Yes, we spent a lot of money on ours at the time, too. But worth every penny. The only thing I've had done to mine in all these years...new belts on the powerbar (for carpets), new latches that hold canister to water bowl, and replaced my hose that attaches to the powerbar. Just being able to see the junk you've vacuumed up makes you feel like you've done the job right. It is an investment and if the quality and workmanship is as good as it was 22 years ago, I don't think you can go wrong if you can afford it.

I enjoy my rainbow.

edie

I do not have much space to store a big vacuum nor do I have the time to deal with one that needs a bag. Can someone tell me of a very good vacuum (not water) that picks up everything for an affordable price of under $70.00.

Erica

I bought a used Electrolux vac. It has a bag, but it's not like you have to change it all the time (disposable bag).

It's a small cigar shaped canister type, but a good vac repair shop should have several types to choose from for a very reasonable price. They are normally fully reconditioned and have a warranty.

Or... try ebay!

I bought a nice Dirt Devil, bagless at WalMart for 68.88. Works like a charm! Good Luck!

I highly highly recommend the dirt devil featherweight, i use my vacuum everyday and am extremely tough on it. i can't believe its lasted 5 years and still works great. i believe these are around $50 bucks. don't believe the hype about expensive models.

I would try a Bissell. We had the expensive Kirby and also an inexpensive Dirt Devil and our bagless Bissell is the best yet. Not sure if it's less than $70 but now would be a good time to find one on sale. I know ours was less than $100.

We used to have a bag-type electrolux vacuum cleaner. When it "kicked the bucket" I bought a bagless canister-type Dirt Devil. We figured that we could buy a new store bought vacuum cleaner once every 2 years for the next twenty or more years compared to buying a new electrolux. And by that time the electrolux would be needing major repairs. The dirt devil had so much suction that the rug changed color in one area that we always walked over. (No more dirt in the carpet). The electrolux bags were so expensive. With being in the country and having 3 kids tracking stuff in and a cat and a dog in the house I used a lot of bags. Now I just empty the canister.

If you do get a canister buy an extra filter so you can clean one while using the other one. Your suction will remain at its best then.

What vacuum cleaner would you recommend for hard surface floors?

Diane from Amity, AR

DYSON! It is the best vacume we have ever used. Plus, you can go right from vacuming the carpet to hardwood without having to adjust any setting. It does it automatically. Good luck!

You may laugh, but I use a shop vac on my tile floors and also on what carpet I have. I love it. It will pick up any and every thing. Best $39 I have ever spent.

http://www.amaz  /qid=1153950589/

I love my Dirt Devil Vac'n'Mop. It can dry vacuum and wet mop (not at the same time, of course). It uses swiffer or clorox ready-mom pads. I guess you could also use whatever frugal substitutes for these pads people have come up with on this site.

If you read the customer reviews on amazon.com, and read the product manual on the dirt devil website, you will see that most people who had complaints did not read the manual and were not using the vacuum the way it was meant to be used. The amazon customer reviews give it only 3 out of 5 stars but I would give it 5.

I bought a Dirt Devil Swivel Glide MVP a few years ago when I had carpet because it looked like it would be easy to push (I have a back problem). I love this vacuum, with the swivel rollers it is easy to manuever, doesn't clog and still does a great job on my tile floors. I don't recall I have ever had to replace a belt either. It's not expensive.

Most of my floors are hardwood and the only thing I do besides mop, is use a 24" wide dustmop sprayed with End Dust. I also use it on the tile in the bathrooms. That is what the professionals suggested I use and it works great. They always look shiny.

Can anyone recommend the best vacuum cleaner to buy?

By Onesummer

My home has laminate wood floors in the den with a couple thick pile rugs. I have normal height carpet (guess you'd say) in my bedrooms. I use a dust mop on the laminate floors so I need a vacuum that will work on the thick rugs. I am having trouble finding one with a high enough adjustment. I just returned a vacuum that had 4 height adjustment and I could barely push it. It was a Kenmore.

By weinerdog41 from Ft. Worth, TX

I am just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a quality vacuum that is good with pet hair? I have two inside cats (1xshort hair 1xlong hair) and a inside dog (short hair). I currently vacuum twice a week and it still doesn't cut the mustard. The vacuum doesn't pick up anywhere near what I am after. (It's that old, the customer service number on it only has 7 numbers, Vax 2000).

I have heard that certain ones that say they are good with pet hair are not and if I went and spent money on something that didn't work I'd be most upset. So I would like some first hand suggestions.

Price doesn't really matter, but at the same time I'd rather not be spending 1k+ on a vacuum, lol. Thankyou :)

By Jody from Roseville, MI