Choosing the Best Flooring for Your Kitchen

Category Flooring
nice kitchen with tile flooring
Finding the best floor for your kitchen can save you money and make caring for it easier. This guide is about choosing the best flooring for your kitchen.

My kitchen has a double layer of linoleum (one over the other) flooring. Right in the middle of the room is a huge spot where the sub-floor is exposed from the table and chairs being moved around for years.
I've read very good ideas on how to remove the linoleum. My question is once I get to the sub-floor what's best to use on it? Linoleum again? Adhesive tile squares? I need a clue.

By JeanieB from IA

I would not use Adhesive tile squares, they do not stay glued to the floor. Porcelain tile is a type of ceramic tile, it is manufactured using a series of unique clay minerals. Porcelain is a very resistant and durable product, it has a very hard surface and a solid structure.

You may want to consider laminate flooring if you want a wood look type floor. I have had Pergo flooring in my kitchen for 8+ years and it has held up well. It cleans up with vinegar water.

I would go with real wood or a laminate wood material. It depends on your budget, as real wood is often a little more.

The best flooring for you depends on your lifestyle. It's just my elderly hubby and me here (with the recent addition of his 46-yr-old son,) so the adhesive wood-look linoleum tiles hubby put down a couple of years ago are holding up nicely. This flooring got put down in the kitchen, bathroom and a small hall between the two. The linoleum tiles were reasonably priced. Since hubby did most of the work himself and only paid a helper $50, it worked out pretty well for us. For a family with kids and heavier traffic, you might consider something tougher like ceramic tiles with grout, or wood. For heavy-duty usage, you need heavy-duty flooring!