Choosing the Right Food for Your Cat

Category Cats
A kitten eating food from a bowl.
Cats like their people need food that is chosen to meet their personal dietary needs and to help them thrive. This is a guide about choosing the right food for your cat.

Recently you had a tip about feeding a cat. It was mentioned that some cats don't like canned cat food and it also told what to look for on the bag of dry food regarding what it should have in it. I have adopted a 3 year old cat and was wondering about what is important as to what type of dry food they need to have. Hope for a reply. Thank you

By Mary from Traverse City, MI

If you look at the ingredients list on the bag of cat food, you should find chicken listed as one of the first four ingredients. Chicken by products do not count as they are part of the chicken with no nutritional value, usually.

heads, claws, beaks, etc.

I use One brand indoor formula for my cats, but there are much more expensive ones out there that are probably full of real meat.

Here is a couple of links that go into choosing the right food. I have looked at the ingredient list on the packages of food at the vets and they are garbage in my opinion.

Here are the links:

http://www.ehow  ry-cat-food.html

http://www.ehow  ry-cat-food.html

The greatest most wonderful foods I can't afford to buy on a regular basis but I can give them a handful every so often if I buy a bag and use it as treats.

Evo, Blue Buffalo, Halo Pets are great foods, but who can afford to pay that much. That is why I recommend to use a bag of t hat food as treats only. That way they will be getting at least some quality food.

Also the better the food is the less they will eat to get the right nutrition. It is amazing how much you can find out about cat food in the links I am sharing above.

Blessings, Robyn