Choosing the Right Paintbrush

Category Painting
Paintbrushes
Depending on what you plan to paint, it helps to use the best brush for the job. This guide is about choosing the right paintbrush.

Are there certain types of paintbrushes I should use when painting with Latex paint and also Oil based paint?

Priscilla from Zwolle

Any bristle paint brush will do.

There are definite differences in brushes and how they apply the paint and the finished look of the paint (lines vs smooth).

There are brushes sold specifically for oil based paints, and also for latex paints. I have bought cheap and expensive brushes and my advice is to buy the best brush you can afford (especially if you plan to use it again).

Any paint brush will NOT DO! Wooster or Purdy is best brush to buy. They cost 10-20 dollars each, but you take care of them and you'lll never have to buy another one. You need china bristle brush for oil bases, and nylon for latex. You need a good angle brush for trim and edging.

Thanks so much! My husband and I went to Sherwin Willaims today and when he saw the paint brushes he said "I think we should get the Purdy ones cause they are purdy." lol Leave it up to my hubby to be a dork.