Christmas Bath Salts

I have a long Christmas list and a small budget, so I wanted to make cute personalized gifts that had a lot of bang for my buck. I have a friend that sells essential oils, so several ladies got together at her house for a crafting night to make scented bath products. I also made some using oils for candy-making. I came up with this packaging idea :)

Total Time: 10 minutes

Yield: 1

1. Place Epson's salts in bowl. Add a total of 7-10 drops of essential oils. If you are mixing scents, start with 3 drops each. Add food coloring and stir until combined. Add more scent if desired. Larger balls took closer to 2 cups salts and about 15 drops of oil.
  2. Pour salts into the Christmas ball. You can scoop the salts in at first, but eventually will need to pour the salts in to top the ball off. I have this handy funnel for filling spice jars and the like, that worked great (spooning the salts into the funnel made the least mess). If you do not have a funnel you can make one from paper or try using a Ziploc baggie with a corner cut off. If you are a little short, just add more salts and shake the ball to mix. Make sure to keep a tight hold. The frosted balls were slippery and I had one go flying across the table leaving a big mess - oops!
  3. Ad
  4. You will need to block off the top of the ball somehow so the salts don't come out prematurely. The toppers for hanging the balls are not going to cut it. Hot glue works the best for this. I placed a bead of glue around the edge of the opening and pressed a small piece of ribbon or felt across the top. You could also use tape, but it doesn't work quite as well. Put the topper back on the ornament. You will need to punch through the fabric so be careful.
  5. Ad
  6. Decorate the ball and topper with ribbon and stickers, paints, gems, or whatever you desire. Small stickers work best because the ball is curved.
  7. The balls are ready to wrap and gift. We also made some lotions (unscented lotion with essential oils) and sugar scrubs.
  8. Ad

Great idea! Could you share the recipes for the lotions and the sugar scrubs?

The lotion was just an unscented lotion with a few drops of essential oils added. The sugar scrub was:

1/2 cup sugar

1/2 cup Turbanado sugar

1/4 almond oil

1 tsp. vanilla

5 drops cinnamon oil (essential oil or food grade for candies).

It is a great packaging idea! I think the plastic ornaments would work well also and might be better since they are not breakable. I just sold out in my craft shop or I would try this!

Very cute idea!