Christmas Gift Wrapping Tips

Category Gift Wrapping
A woman wrapping Christmas gifts.
One of the most cherished traditions of Christmas is to beautifully wrap gifts for others admire under the tree. Save money while still making your gifts look fabulous with these frugal gift wrapping ideas. This is a guide about Christmas gift wrapping tips.

Don't spend money on those fancy curly ribbon cascades. Make your own!

Lay a piece of wide Scotch tape on your work surface. Place the end of the curly ribbon on the tape at the edge, about halfway down. Cut the curly ribbon to the desired length.

Repeat until the tape is filled across. Fold the top down over the ends of the curly ribbon.

Curl with scissors. Voila! Your own curly ribbon cascade at a fraction of the cost!

Longer lengths of ribbon will yield a more "cascading" cascade and short lengths will yield a tighter, curlier adornment.

By Camilla from Atchison, KS

I love to buy wrapping paper at Costco. Their wrapping paper is super heavy and there is a ton of paper on each roll. The other neat part about their paper, is that it's double sided! This year I decided to wrap each person's presents with a specific wrapping paper.

Assign Each Family Member a Wrapping Paper

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? 2

I started this at Christmas time to reduce garbage, expensive gift wrapping costs and environmental waste.

I bought inexpensive holiday material (after Christmas they will be cheap) and simply sew it up along the sides and hem the top and it resembles various size "Santa's Sacks", which I used to put my children's gifts in! I would tie it with a wide ribbon, tie on a tag (also all reusable). Looks like Santa brought a lot of goodies!

You may also do this for birthdays with different material! Ho-ho-ho!

By Be-Be Eyes from Sterling, PA

When I wrap presents, I don't use bows. For boys, I use a matchbox car, small ball, etc.; for girls I use hair accessories, pencils, etc. For adults, I use a tea light candle, a hair accessory, screw driver, or anything I think will be useful or appreciated by the recipient.

Use your imagination. It may cost me a few cents more, but the money is well spent as there is no wasted money on bows that get thrown away and the person is getting 2 presents in one.

By Eiw from Lancaster, PA

I am delivering a present to someone who loves Diet Coke. I didn't want to wrap the gift, but wanted to add a keepsake. I put a pretty door decoration which has bells on the package. Once the drinks are gone, each time the door rings from the decoration, I will be remembered! I love delivering gifts at Christmastime!

I love to go to the dollar tree and browse the miniature decoration aisle during the holidays. These make fun and festive decorations to hang on gifts. A nice and inexpensive way to personalize a gift, I think.

I wrap up cinnamon sticks with plaid ribbon and use it on gifts along with the bows as an "extra" gift. I also use the cinnamon sticks as Christmas ornaments.

Like most grandparents we always go overboard on gifts and want the packages to be spectacular and mainly recognizable.

This is something my sister and I used to do as kids.

I have five grandchildren. Instead of buying one large gift, I buy several smaller ones. The children really enjoy getting to open so many gifts. I have 5 individual boxes with their names printed on them.

I read so often about wrapping gifts in comics from the Sunday paper, so I wrapped my grandson's gift in comics. It is really cute!

A present wrapped in comics from the paper.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

For years now, I've been wrapping Christmas presents in a unique way. Each recipient gets his or her own paper! After wrapping, I write the name on the back of the gift with marker, then decorate the package with cutouts from old cards to match the recipient and write inspirational, humorous, or loving messages. Distributing packages on Christmas morning has never been easier, and everyone loves my decorations (some even keep them to use again!).

Source: My idea when gift tags kept falling off packages and we didn't know who they belonged to!

By Casey from Plano, TX

Have you noticed how much packaging they put on kids toys these days? With all the tape, cardboard, twist ties, and plastic, it can take most of Christmas day just to get the toys out of the package and then you still have to put them together!

To avoid the frustration on Christmas morning, we always take our kids toys out of the package before wrapping them. We assemble the toys and put any manuals/instructions/warranty booklets in a safe place so they don't get thrown out with the wrapping paper on Christmas morning. Batteries can be inserted and toys can be tested (or played with lol) to make sure you don't end up with a broken toy or missing parts on Christmas day.

The toys are sometimes a little harder to wrap this way (if they don't fit back into the box), but it always seemed odd to me as a child that Santa's elves - who I thought built my Christmas toys - would spend so much time packaging them. Having ready to use gifts just seemed more magical, like they were made especially for me, not mass marketed.

This also helps if your family can't afford all new toys and wants to pass along something they know a child will love, but may turn their nose up at simply because it's not new. If all the toys are out of their packages, then any toy in good condition will not stand out from the rest.

For Christmas, use the special holiday flyers to wrap up the presents!

They are quite colorful, and you can save trees.

By HelenaW from Beverly Hills, CA