Christmas Heart Ornaments

Category Ornaments
Christmas Heart Ornaments
Making heart shaped holiday decorations for your home or gifts especially shows your love. This guide is about making Christmas heart ornaments.

Make several in different colors and scatter on your tree. Easy for kids to do too. If you visit with older folk, like at convalescent homes, it is a craft most can do without help.

Approximate Time: 15 minutes

Instructions:

Choose your color theme and pick a pipe cleaner (chenille stem). Weave the lace in and out on the chenille leaving about a half inch space between weaves.

Fold in half and twist the 2 ends together. Shape into a heart. Tie a bow at the twist. If you'd like you can add berries or other small decor. Several strands of small ribbon also make it a little more dimensional.

By Myst from Muncie, IN

Three years ago, I made about 450 ornaments, hoping to sell them at the local Holiday show in Turner, OR. I think I still have oh...about 425 left! Not a great show and definitely my last.

However, my ornaments might help you decorate your tree and so it won't be a loss, I am sharing! Since I don't know when TF can get these on, just keep looking for the rest, a total of 9 or 10.

The first is a Heart Tree.

You find the fabric you like and the size of hearts you like. You will need two or three. One needs to be bigger than the next and the next, etc.

Make a stiffener of 3 parts glue to 1 part water, and brush on the front with a foam brush. Cut the hearts out when they dry, as they are like cutting paper.

Glue one to the other, overlapping just a bit. Let dry.

Place your dry tree on a piece of felt, and cut around it.

Whip stitch with holiday colored crochet thread to the felt.

Embellish with wooden pieces, buttons, scraps of fabric, etc.

Cool glue a felt loop on the back of the top and you are done!

NOTE: You can make these with any kind of fabric. I chose plaid because I have always liked a country look. You can make them out of spangly felt and eliminate the fabric, using different colors for each "layer". You could make them with satin or rayon, but the fabric won't stand up as well as cotton to the glue.

If you like sparkly things, make them out of something pretty and put glitter glue or half pearls or rhinestones on instead of country buttons.

ENJOY!

By Sandra from Salem, OR

Here is another ornament I made and am sharing with you. This one is a plaid heart.

You can make it with any fabric. Glitter felt is cheap and fun, as is fabric that has holiday prints on it.

Choose the size of heart you want. This one is 3.5 by 3.5 inches. Stiffen the fabric with a 3 parts glue to 1 part water mix. When dried, the fabric cuts like paper.

Lay your stiffened heart on felt that goes with your color choices. Crimp around the edges for a cool look.

Sew with coordinating crochet thread in a running stitch around the edges. Cool glue a ribbon and button on the front, plus a hanger on the back

Enjoy!!

NOTE: With just a little work, you can also cut an oval or heart out of the middle, insert a photo in between the fabric and the felt, with a bit of clear plastic to protect it, and "encase it" in the ornament.

What relative wouldn't love that!!

By Sandra from Salem, OR

This adorable doll-faced, heart, Christmas tree ornament is easy to make and a great gift for kids. It only requires some paint, ribbon, glue and a cheap wooden heart. Well maybe a pencil and some doll hair too, but that's it!

Approximate Time: 20 minutes

Instructions:

1. Paint the heart peach and let dry.
  2. Use a pencil to lightly sketch the face from "Picture 1" onto the heart. Paint the nose and cheeks pinks, the lips red and the eyes white. Let dry.
  3. Go over the face and outline the shapes with black paint. If you have a hard time doing detail, you can cheat and outline the shapes with a black, Sharpie pen. Let dry.
  4. Make two small sections of hair. Take one section and pinch the hair together, about one inch from the end. Use a green ribbon or chenille stem to make a "ponytail", as shown in "Pic 2".
  5. Tie or buy a tiny red bow. I included extra red ribbon in the instructions in case you want to tie your own, since it wastes length when you have to cut the ends even. Glue or hot glue the red bow to the green ponytail holder. Repeat process with second section of hair. Let dry.
  6. Make a small line of hot glue on the thin upper edge of the heart, on the upper curve of the heart top. Press a ponytail of hair into the hot glue and hold for a second. You want to glue not only the inch of hair to the heart, but the stable ponytail holder too. Repeat with second ponytail. Let dry.
  7. Use about 1/2 foot of red ribbon to tie into a large loop. Use hot glue to glue the ribbon to the top of the heart. Let dry. You now have a cute, doll-face Christmas tree ornament!

Notes:

I made the back of the heart look the same as the front, so regardless of which side you look at, you see the face. However, you can also paint the back of the heart the same color as the hair and make it look like the back of the head. If you do want to make the back of the heart look like the back of a head, remember that it now gives you a perfect place to write a little message and sign your work.

By Aysha from Boise, ID

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

My friend sent me this heart ornament for Christmas a few years ago. I hung it in front of the calendar and happened to have these noodle angels I had made handy so I hung them together. I wanted to send her a picture of them.

After I had downloaded the picture, I noticed the calendar heading: "Promise". How fitting for the Christmas season.

By Great Granny Vi from Moorpark, CA

A heart shaped Christmas ornament hanging with two noodle angels over a calendar that says "Promise".

Comment Like this photo? 1