Christmas Tree Tips and Tricks

Category Tree
Christmas Tree
There are smart ways to keep your holiday tree safe and trouble free. This guide contains christmas tree tips and tricks.

To improve an old artificial Christmas tree, prepare one roll of lace ribbon and wire. Cut the ribbon into 12 inch long sections. Crumple the ribbon at the middle and tie it with a small wire. Fifteen ribbons are good for a 7 foot Christmas tree. Assemble the Christmas tree and put on the Christmas lights. Place the ribbon on the branches of the Christmas tree, making sure that both sides of the ribbon are inserted at the branches of the Christmas tree. Finally, hang the Christmas balls and other ornaments decorations on the tree.

By Jane J. from Lachine, QC

Several years ago, I put up a cut pine tree for Christmas. Afterward, I took it out back to the burn pile and lit it with a match and one section of toilet paper. Within seconds, the fire was out of control, and so hot that I could not approach it. I had no idea how little it took to ignite a dry pine, and how quickly it could grow into a roaring fire. Never, never will I ever have a cut pine for a Christmas tree again. With much pleading and grumbling, my children have agreed to no more cut pines in their homes either.

I feel compelled this season to share what I learned. Cut pines are an extreme fire hazard. Wishing all a very Merry Christmas.

By Suzann from Brownsville, OH

For many years we would plug in our tree every evening and then before we went to bed we would unplug it. It finally dawned on us that we could eliminate doing that by using a timer connected to that outlet.

This weekend, I saw the most lovely little Christmas tree. The decoration were a string of lights and then, the best part! It was covered with "things" from the family such as a silver baby spoon and fork tied with a lovely piece of ribbon, an old salt shaker attached in the same way, and various other family items - both crystal and silver/silver plate from years gone by. It was very lovely and very effective.

By Mitzi from DeLand, FL

If you have limited space, use an artificial tree and place it close to a wall and leave the back branches off and decorate. It still looks good in less space.

You may want to attach a string to the middle of the tree for added support and put a tack in the wall and tie the string to it..

By Syd

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

Due to the economy, we decided to get a tiny Christmas tree this year. Even though it's still adorable and just as loved as a huge tree would be, I giggle at how small it is. I cut out a picture of my fiance holding my exercise ball and attached it to our baby tree, just for laughs. He looks like a small elf decorating a huge tree!

When times get tough, the tough get funny. Happy Holidays :)

By attosa

Larger Than Life Christmas Tree

Comment Like this photo? 17

This is my upside down Christmas tree. It is artificial and with bigger branches on the top. I put 1200 LED lights and 400 regular lights (so the ornamotions will work).

I've been collecting ornaments for over 30 years. Many of my ornaments are by Christopher Radko. I put at least 25 spinners (ornamotion) so that when the lights come one and the ornaments start spinning, people say "Wow".

By Kathi from Conejo Valley, CA

Beautifully Decorated Upside Down Christmas Tree

Comment Like this photo? 14