Cigarette Smoke on Leather

I have some leather clothes (blazers, skirts, jackets) that I inherited after my mother passed away two years ago. She was a heavy smoker and the clothes smell like smoke. Is there a way for me to get the smell out of the clothes without taking them to the cleaners?

By Bridgette from San Francisco, CA

Answers:

Cigarette Smoke on Leather

I';m not sure if this will work but, you could try sealing the clothes in a garbage bag (with the hanger sticking out the top so you can still hang) and putting baking soda in the bottom of the bag to draw the smell out. I would think this would be worth trying, inexpensive and safe for you items. Good luck. (11/18/2009)

By boxergirl76

Cigarette Smoke on Leather

Turn inside out and spray the fabric parts with Febreze and allow to dry, then turn right side out. Using a sponge, dip in vinegar water, (about 1 part vinegar to 6 parts water). Pour a little Murphy's oil soap in a small bowl if you have it or a lanolin bar soap. Dip the end of the sponge in the Murphy's or rub on bar and apply lightly to the leather. The soaps act as a lubricant and the vinegar helps cut the odor. Hang in a breezy place out of the sun. (11/20/2009)

By takelababy

Cigarette Left Burning in Ashtray
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odor from Leather
cigarette smell computer
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors from a Computer
Cigarettes
Cigarette Smoke Odors From Neighbors
A man smoking a cigarette and wearing a black leather jacket.
Removing Cigarette Smell from Leather Jacket
Men's leather winter boots.
Removing Smoke Odor from Leather Boots
🎄