Cigarette Smoke on Leather

I just bought a purse from eBay and it smells of cigarette smoke. How do I get that horrible smell out of this nice leather purse? It is a good brand.

By Shirley from Shepherdsville, KY

Answers:

Cigarette Smoke on Leather

I always clean my leather with Murphy's Oil Soap. Take a container of water and a sponge, get sponge good and wet pour some oil soap on sponge work it into a lather. Work lather into leather and let dry. Using a clean sponge rinse all lather off leather. Let dry, you can then condition with Neat's Foot oil or another leather conditioner. All this can be found at a tack shop, saddlery. (12/31/2010)

By looneylulu

Cigarette Smoke on Leather

A good way to get rid of odor's is to put the item in a container with a couple sections of hay. Never used it for a smoke smell, but works good with a mildewy smell. (12/31/2010)

By looneylulu

Cigarette Smoke on Leather

I have used coffee or baking soda to remove all most all odors. I would suggest putting in a plastic baggie, but don't seal it. Let it sit for a couple days. Good luck. (12/31/2010)

By gogalyboo

Cigarette Smoke on Leather

I second the motion about using coffee. I would put the purse in a plastic bin with a lid; and in the purse I would put some dry coffee grounds in a sock, or tied in a cloth, and put some outside as well. You could use (non-match lighting) a couple of charcoal briquets as well, again, wrapped in cloth to prevent getting the purse dirty. Leave it closed in the bin for a couple of days.

I would also re-check the eBay listing. If the seller said "non-smoking", I would be sure to let them know that the item reeks of smoke and would also check with eBay regarding the rules about misleading listings. (12/31/2010)

By Jilson

Thanks for the Murphys Oil Soap and vinegar ideas - I mixed these together and rubbed rub down a pair of leather sandals bought on EBay that stunk of cigarette smoke, then put them outside in the sun to get thoroughly dry. This diminished the odor to tolerable. Repeated, and it's hardly noticeable at all. Thanks again!

Will this work on my UGG boots I just purchased them from someone and that person smoked and they smell awful but I got them for 90, and they are in pretty decent shape!! Any help on cleaning and deodorizing UGG boots is greatly appreciated!!!

Cigarette Left Burning in Ashtray
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odor from Leather
cigarette smell computer
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors from a Computer
Cigarettes
Cigarette Smoke Odors From Neighbors
A man smoking a cigarette and wearing a black leather jacket.
Removing Cigarette Smell from Leather Jacket
Men's leather winter boots.
Removing Smoke Odor from Leather Boots
🎉
🎄