Cinnamon Applesauce Gingerbread Men Ornaments

By Donna 309 325

Mix cinnamon (I bought a big jar of it at a local dollar store) with a little applesauce, (using your judgement and adding it slowly) mixing with my hands until it's the consistency of pie crust. Too wet, add more cinnamon.

Cinnamon Applesauce Gingerbread Men for Tree or Gifts

Sprinkle some cinnamon on a board and roll out the dough on it about 1/4 inch thick, cutting it with your cookie cutters. I use two sizes of straws to cut holes (as shown) one hole to hang the finished gingerbread man and one for eyes and buttons and punch them out.

Then you can let them air dry on a cookie tin by a wood stove, in an oven set at low or in a dehydrator. Times vary according to method used, of course.

Check that they are dry by looking at the back of them in the torso. The back should all look the same color and not darker indicating moisture.

Once they are totally dry, just use your ribbons, sequins, or buttons and decorate anyway you would like! I keep my very simple (see photo) since I like a "homey" look. I placed mine in little snack bags and tied them closed with ribbon to preserve the scent until opened, but the scent lasts quite long since they are made entirely of cinnamon!

Folks love them on gifts, on trees, etc. since they smell great, too. I end up hanging some all around the house and car as a scented decoration as well! They would make great craft projects for fundraisers too.

NOTE: They are not edible though, so make sure your recipients know that!

Approximate Time: 10 minutes, extra time to dry accordng to method of choice

Yield: You mix the combinations and can make one or dozens!

Just plugged in some amounts, but the choice of how much you use is up to how much you want to make! You can make one or many!

• 1 oz cinnamon ($1.00)
  • 1 oz cheapest applesauce you can find ($.50)
  • 1 ft ribbons ($1.00)

1. Add a teaspoon of applesauce to 4 oz. of cinnamon and knead together with hands, adding more of either ingredient to make a pie crust dough consistency. Roll out dough onto cinnamon dusted breadboard and cut out gingerbread (or other cutout shapes). Use straw to cut a hole to hang the ornament and additional holes for eyes and buttons if desired. Transfer to cinnamon dusted cookie sheet and allow to dry in oven at LOW, or in a dehydrator or next to a wood stove.
  2. Cinnamon Applesauce Gingerbread Men for Tree or Gifts
  3. Add ribbon scarf and hanger ribbon and give on gifts, cards, or hang on tree! MMMMM...smells great!
  4. You may present them in a snack bag if you'd like or tie them directly on gifts or cards.
  5. NOTE: These are purely decorative cinnamon men and not edible gingerbread men! Make sure your recipients know that.

Comment

Gingerbread Men Ornaments
Making Gingerbread Men Ornaments
Next
Crafts Christmas DecorationsNovember 26, 2012
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Making a Paper Bag Gingerbread House
Making a Paper Bag Gingerbread House
Gingerbread Men Ornaments
Making Gingerbread Men Ornaments
Canning Applesauce
Canning Applesauce
Paper Gingerbread Men
Making Paper Gingerbread Men
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 7, 2016 at 10:08:40 PM on 10.0.1.209 in 922 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings