Circuit Breaker Keeps Tripping

I would like to know why our circuit trips a lot. Is it because there is too much load on it?

By Zwings Yoo from Yola, Nigeria

Answers:

Circuit Breaker Keeps Tripping

I was told by the guy who replaced the breaker box in our apartment that a circuit trips to *prevent* an overload. It means you're trying to use too much in one area, so it shuts down to avoid a hazard.

Whether or not this is the only reason I have no clue, I'm no electrician. LOL. But he suggested not running, say, the microwave and the dishwasher at one time, or a vacuum and a hair dryer. Hope this helps! (04/10/2010)

By Hyena Cub

Circuit Breaker Keeps Tripping

While breakers can go bad it is usually an overload. Add up the wattage of everything on the circuit and divide by 120 to get a rough amperage. If it is greater than the amp rating of the breaker, move something to another circuit. If you have something with a motor in it like a refrigerator or washer or dryer, when the motor starts it draws a lot of current for a brief period to get the motor started- it's called inrush current, which can cause a breaker to trip if it is close to capacity. (04/10/2010)

By zoodad

Circuit Breaker Keeps Tripping

If the breaker keeps tripping, there is likely too big a load on it. Perhaps there are a lot of things on that circuit. I have one circuit that has my fridge, microwave, TV, VCR, and coffeemaker and toaster. I cannot use the microwave and the coffee maker at the same time, nor make toast and coffee at the same time. This was not a good plan when the house was wired with 4 outlets on one breaker -- especially with 3 of them in the kitchen! (04/12/2010)

By louel53

Circuit Breaker Keeps Tripping
Circuit Breaker Keeps Tripping
human hand flipping the switch on the circuit breaker.
Dishwasher Tripping a Circuit Breaker
electrician working on breaker box
Installing a New Circuit Breaker
breaker box
Pool Keeps Tripping Circuit Breaker
🎉
🎄