Clay Pot Lighthouse

I found the perfect lantern at Ikea to use for this clay pot lighthouse. These cute yard decorations are easy to make!

1. Spray the clay pots with multiple layers of primer. Add layers and allow to dry according to primer instructions. Spray them in a well ventilated area.
  2. Stack the pots and use a pencil to mark where they overlap. Now you have the area that will show when they are stacked.
  3. Ad
  4. Divide the exposed area into equal sections for the painted stripes. I chose to have 2 red stripes and 2 white stripes. Use a ruler to make marks all the way around the pot, then connect the marks so that you have a guide line for painting.
  5. Related Content(article continues below)
  6. Paint the red areas, allowing to dry in between coats. Apply paint until you have even coverage.
  7. Paint the white areas, allowing paint to dry in between coats. Apply paint until you have even coverage.
  8. Optional: You can spray your painted lighthouse with exterior polyurethane for added protection.
  9. Apply glue to the pots and stack them together. Apply glue to the bottom of the lantern and the top of the clay pot lighthouse base. Attach lantern. Allow glue to dry completely.
  10. Add a candle to the lantern and enjoy your new lighthouse!

Just finished my 1st lighthouse. What a fun project.

what size pots did you use

This is more complicated than the directions lead on. Did you sand your pots? Mine don't fit on one another very well. I finally finished painting my layers, which took more than 2-3 coats of paint. I tried to glue the first layer on and it cracked because I had to hammer it down because it was crooked. Could you please post more specific directions and tips? What kind of primer did you use? You show pictures of paint, that's it. I think it would be more helpful to talk about the process and directions instead of where to find a cute lantern; did you have problems?

My 87 year old mom thought this would be an easy project to make for her kids and grand kids. It took forever for her to find the pots, paints, and solar lights. Then she nor anyone else in our family could figure out how to remove the tape on the solar battery. She did this all w/o internet (doesn't want to learn), but I was able to help her with the painting and I think they are all ready to go!

I hope you share a picture of the finished lighthouses. :)

Where can I find the solar lanterns

Terra Cotta Lighthouse
Making a Terra Cotta Lighthouse
Crafts Garden & Yard DecorationsJune 9, 2014
Clay Pot Candleholders
Clay Pot Candleholders
Papier Mache Clay
Papier Mache Clay Recipe
Making Sand Clay
Making Sand Clay
Wind chimes that are made from a clay pot.
Clay Pot Wind Chimes
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 24, 2017 at 1:53:47 PM on 10.0.1.80 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.