Clean an Old Mirror With Rubbing Alcohol

Category Glass
Cleaning a mirror with rubbing alcohol.
An old fashion way of cleaning may help you clean an old mirror. This is a guide about clean an old mirror with rubbing alcohol.

I bought a large mirror at the Goodwill several months ago. No matter what I tried to clean it with, it still had streaks and spots that would not come off. Several family members tried to clean it for me, but nothing worked. I thought I was going to have to replace it but then I remembered a old fashioned way to clean mirrors from years ago.

Just put some rubbing alcohol on a paper towel or soft cloth and rub on mirror. It will be clean and spot free with little rubbing. You can also clean your mirrors in the bathrooms and the faucets. It eliminates germs on many surfaces and cleans them for little cost. You can clean your phone, counter-tops, and many other things. You can get a bottle for less than a dollar. Try it, it really works!

By dwedenoja from New Creek, WV

Top Comment

Good share! I remember this suggestion years ago from a housecleaning manual, about how to freshen bathrooms quickly with a little rubbing alcohol on a pad of tissue. If the alcohol odor bothers some, try one of the vinegar based cleaning sprays instead.

Try not to get the edges of the mirror wet (saturated with the cleaning product) because that might tend to take the finish off the back in some mirrors, especially an old one.

Top Comment

One huge advantage to alcohol based glass cleaners is that they will not allow a film buildup on the glass after you use them. Windex does allow a buildup, requiring you to keep cleaning the mirror ever couple weeks. I cleaned house for many years and this saved me a lot of time. I buy the alcohol based cleaner sold in the auto section. I then clean mirrors once a year whether they need it or not.

Sometimes the old-fashioned way really is best.

It also works great on faucets, tea kettles, and toasters. No expensive degreaser needed.