Cleaning Algae From a Pond

I moved into a new home and there is a 50 gallon pond in the front yard by front door! It has green algae along the walls. I bought a $50 filter and pump at Lowe's and it doesn't do the job. I have bought stuff to put in the water which also does not seem to help. I went to a pond nursery and ended up buying a PF 300 filter and am going to try to hook it up with the little pump I got at Lowe's. This filter cost me $150.

The pond is oval and has 2 shelves on either side with a deep center. I feel I am going round in circles to keep clean. Or do I have to! I have no fish as of yet, just one plant, (variegated Japanese iris). Do I need a filter of this magnitude or should I keep pouring in the chemicals (algae killers)?

By Bonnie P

I found this info on ehow.com. Hope it helps some....sounds interesting about the water lillies.

Algae control is an essential part of maintaining an outdoor fish pond, an environment commonly used to house koi. Because they are outside, these ponds are constantly exposed to sunlight and stray organic nutrients, both of which promote algal growth. One type of algae that's particularly annoying is green algae, which is composed of tiny, microscopic phytoplanktons that give the water an ugly, green tint. There are many chemical solutions sold in stores to help eliminate this problem, commonly called algaecides, but they can be potentially harmful to your fish if used improperly. Luckily, there's another, much easier and natural way to both eliminate and prevent green algae.

Difficulty:Moderate

Instructions

Things You'll Need

Hose

Dechlorinator

Water lilies

1

Using the hose, siphon about one-third of the water from your pond.

2

Refill the pond, making sure that the fresh water is about the same temperature of the water already in the pond.

3

Add the appropriate amount of dechlorinator. This amount should be specified on the product's packaging and is dependent on the amount of water you replaced.

4

Scatter water lilies across your pond until they cover about two-thrids of the surface. They will shield much light from reaching the water and also absorb many nutrients the algae would otherwise use to grow and spread. The green algae should gradually vanish within about two weeks.

Another reason for algae prevalence in ponds is due to rainwater carrying nutrients into the pond, which feeds the algae and allows it to propagate. To help prevent this occurrence, simply use a shovel and build a narrow trough around the perimeter of the pond. This will catch rainwater, preventing it from washing into your pond.

Be wary when using any of the dozens of chemicals available for eliminating algae. These products, if used improperly, can be hazardous to your fish. They also typically cause the algae to die very rapidly, which can cause a sudden depletion of oxygen, not to mention causing the bottom of your pond to be covered with a layer of dead algae. Thus, it's safer to simply allow the algae to dissipate naturally.

Read more:

http://www.ehow  t-fish-pond.html

How to Get Green Algae Out of a Fish Pond | eHow.com http://www.ehow  ml#ixzz1OYpyVH8F

Blessings,

Robyn

Putting some barley straw in a flow through bag will help keep the pond clean. It will not clean the pond, but if you put it in there after you clean it, it will help keep it clean. I"m not talking about using a huge amount, just a small handful in a bag should do the trick. I read about this on the Gardener's supply website.