Cleaning Bathroom Fixtures

Category Bathroom
A faucet's polished surface looks best when it is clean. Everything from water spots to toothpaste can make your bathroom fixtures look unsightly. This is a guide about cleaning bathroom fixtures.

To keep water marks off your sinks and faucets, use baby oil on them. Put the baby oil on to a cloth and wipe down your sink and your faucet. Works well on stainless steel too. I've also used it on my backsplash which is made of silver metal sheeting.

By Terry

Doesn't that make them collect more dust (and, in the bathroom, whisker hairs)?

After wiping my makeup off with a facial cleaning cloth, I use it to wipe off my bathroom sink faucet as well as the towel holder. It quickly removes the dirt and grime from the faucet and towel holder, leaving them both bright and shiny.

By Pam from Burlington, KY

That is an ingenious idea! I'll definitely try it. God bless you!

Cleaning your fiberglass tub with "The Works" does work really well, but be very careful not to get it on the faucets because it will discolor and ruin them.

By Debra from Wichita, KS

If you need to clean and shine your bathroom taps in a hurry (that's faucets to you guys, I believe) grab a soft rinse impregnated sheet, meant for adding to your clothes dryer, and just buff for a great shine. Can be doubled up to clean around the back of the taps and leaves no reside.

By Maureen from Lincolnshire UK

Shine chrome bathroom fixtures with a little baby oil. It helps them look clean and shiny longer.

By Laura C

Keep window cleaner and paper towels in each bathroom so you can give the faucets, mirrors, and porcelain a quick wipe whenever the mood strikes you., which may not be often, but at least you'll be prepared!

Note: If you have young children living with you, or as visitors, make sure that all chemicals are way out of reach, better safe than sorry.

By fransmission

I am trying to clean the "gunk" that settles around the base of the faucets and I can't get it off. Anyone know how to do this effectively?

Thanks!
Mindy from Oregon

I've have good luck with Lime Away product sold in the cleaning aisle of the grocery store used with an old toothbrush.

If the vinegar alone doesn't 'cut it' (sorry about the terrible pun!), sprinkle a bit of baking soda around the faucets then replace the vinegar-soaked towels. Combined, the two products will bubble the gunk loose.

When my taps (faucets) get gunky I use either kitchen or bathroom cleaner and an old toothbrush. Always works for me.

I just moved into a new apartment where all the bathroom fixtures are new. I would like to know of a safe way to clean them. Also, my bathtub has a non-skid bottom (not strips). Any advice on what type of cleaning products to use ?

Thanks

By Louise from Queens, NY

Anonymous

Good old fashioned distilled vinegar and water solution to cleanse and wipe the fixtures off with a dry cloth after use to keep the water spots away.

I use Windex window cleaner on mine, and vinegar if there are mineral deposits. A toothbrush is good to clean out crevices. And the other ladies are right, a swab down with a towel after using really cuts down on the cleaning as things are never grungy.

By the way, I am talking about the fixtures, not the tub. I always use Mr. Clean on the tub, and the magic eraser is good if you need some "scrubbing".

Tips for cleaning bathroom faucets. Post your ideas.

When I buy a new toothbrush I put the old one in with the cleaning supplies.

They are GREAT for cleaning faucets.

I use them for hard to reach corners that a mop can't get to, etc.

I hope this works for you.

By Lynn

I clean with Avon Bubble Bath. It smells great, and takes very little to clean, just a half capful in a sink of water. Your taps will shine and there is no rinsing needed. Non toxic which I really like. I use it also to clean my mirrors and they shine with no rinsing required. I just wipe them down with a sponge and they are done. Great for wallls, floors, etc. It leaves no residue either.

How do you clean shower faucets without

loosening them from the stall wall?

Is there a product or cloth that will help with removing hair from outside of the toilet and sinks?

By Willie from Albany, OR

Anonymous

It's as simple as any cleaning rag, water and some elbow grease ;-)

You can do a quick job of it by getting into the habit of just swiping those areas with plain old toilet paper to remove the hair. Flush that away and then use disinfectant wipes over the same areas to kill bacteria and maintain the clean.

I use the vacuum cleaner hose with one of the narrow attachments and just suck all that hair up - much easier than trying to wipe it up, and no possibility of clogging your sink or toilet...just make sure that your surfaces are dry when you do this. When I'm finished, I wipe everything down with a damp cloth and a little Scrub Free cleaner, then dry with a microfiber cloth, then damp mop the floor and I'm done. Easy peasy!

What's the best way to clean polished nickel bath fixtures?

By Katia

Your bath fixtures are chrome plated with about 7% nickel. So any chrome or metal polish should polish them.

I use window cleaner on all my chrome, brushed and unbrushed. Wipe off with a paper towel or soft cloth. Window cleaner is great in the bathroom and kitchen because it cuts through soap scum and makes tiles glisten.

I had a fire in my apartment, and the smoke was so thick, the bathtub and the toilets are stained with smoke. I tried many things to scrub them with, but it won't go away. Can you help?

What is the best way to clean brushed nickel faucets of hard water buildup, without damaging the surface?

By Jill from Richmond, VA

How do you remove cloudiness and spots from bronzed metal faucets? I have 2 year old Delta "venetian bronze" faucets and sprayed a soap scum remover product on them while cleaning my tub. Now they are cloudy and spotty. It looks as if I have never cleaned them. Have I ruined my faucets? How can I fix this?

SJV from Farmington, CA

When i was a home health aid. The lady wanted me to clean her faucets with vinegar -- she had it in a spray bottle. it worked. Hope this helps you.