Cleaning Black Grout

I have black grout in a shower. Every time I wipe it down it turns the rag black. Does it need to be sealed again?

By Lynn W

I would mix one cup of bleach to four cups of water Wear gloves and clean with this until all the black is gone. Use a brush, not just a rag. Rinse well after a few minutes. Put a sealant on the grout again after it is clean and dry. Paint the sealant on with a little paintbrush, why dry, sealant should cause water to bead on the grout. Grout often holds lots of mildew and this is why it is good to clean very good and reseal.

Hope this helps!

My handyman, who just put in new tile around my shower said that it isn't necessary to seal the grout. So, it is likely it was never sealed in the first place.

I am not an expert on grout, however, I did have black grout in my former house, and as far as I know, it was never sealed. And it did not leave black marks on the cloth when it was wiped down. I don't think yours should either, but I have no solution to this problem. As I said, mine wasn't sealed in the first place.

I wipe down the shower after everyone is finished showering in the morning (or the last one to shower does), and this seems to prevent soapscum and mildew from developing. Are you sure it is black grout that is causing the marks? Could it be mildew?

Yeah, robynfederspiel. You gave the right answer. It is mold and black mold is harmful to your health. Bleach and I add, dish soap to it, to kill the mold it has to be bleach and seal it.

Home and Garden Cleaning BathroomJune 16, 2011
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Black Widow Spider Costume
Cleaning Dirty Tile
Homemade Tile and Grout Cleaner Recipes
Cleaning Ceramic Tile Grout
Cleaning Ceramic Tile Grout
Cleaning Urine Off Grout
Cleaning Urine Off Grout
🎉
🎄