Cleaning Blue Stains in a Toilet

Category Bathroom
A toilet being cleaned with blue water.
This guide is about cleaning blue stains in a toilet. Determining what is causing blue cleaner stains to develop in your toilet bowl can be a mystery.

I used Lysol in my toilet bowl and it dyed my bowl. How do I get this out?

By bobbyjus from Perry, FL

Best Answer

I suspect the lysol is dying some lime deposit that is in the toilet. You may want to try some acid to remove this; or just go with the bleach as Klavier suggested. But don't combine cleaners.

Over a 10-14 day period, blue/purple stains develop in the bottom of our toilet bowl. The tank is crystal clear. They do not form in our other toilet. We have soft water. Where are the stains coming from and how can we prevent them from forming?

Michimac from Michigan

Here is a possiblity, my mother takes medicine for urinary infection and so forth, the pills, leave blue residue, so if other folks are using your toilet, then maybe. If not cleaned normally, there will be lot of blue.

Same thing happening in one of our toilets (Kohler, about ten years old). Tank is clear. No blue flapper or gaskets. I thought maybe copper piping, but it's only appearing in the bowel and not in the tank. Have asked several plumbers and they have no idea. Have you discovered an answer yet?

What are the blue stains in my toilet bowl?

Eva from Los Angeles

Answers:

Blue Stains in My Toilet

Do you have a drop in toilet bowl cleanser in the tank? Not sure if
that would cause a stain or not. But if you ever see a pink stain
around the bowl rim it just means it needs a disinfectant cleanser. (11/11/2006)

By Ariela

Blue Stains in My Toilet

I this might be your problem. Hard water deposits can accumulate on the sides of the toilet bowl. Then if you clean the toilet using something like Vanish, which turns the water blue, it can cling to the mineral build-up on the bowl. Kohler does not recommend using Vanish. To get rid of these stains, you can try some muriatic acid (diluted of course.) You only need about a 10% solution. Be very careful so you don't burn your skin or eyes if it splashes; wear rubber gloves and eye protection. The brush you use with the muriatic acid should not have any metal that can come in contact with the acid in the toilet. There are brushes available that do not use heavy wire to hold the bristles. A good toilet bowl cleaner is Zep available from Home Depot. This is a good alternative to the muriatic acid. (11/12/2006)

By Dennis

Blue Stains in My Toilet

Hi,

If you have copper piping and your water is a little acidic, then it will slowly break down the copper, leaving blue stains in the toilet or sink and will sometimes plug your shower head. Try some CLR (calcium, lime, rust remover) or a similar cleaner. It should take away the blue stain, but sometimes, depending on how long its been in contact with the surface, it may just lighten it. But it's worth a try! (11/13/2006)

By siva38

Blue Stains in My Toilet

I think Dennis is right on. I too had this problem. And I was using Vanish. If the products he mentioned don't remove the hard water deposits, you can buy a pumice stone from Lowe,s or Home Depot. They won't damage the porcelain and they work great. (11/14/2006)

By nana6x