Cleaning Burnt Food From Non-Stick Pan

I think I ruined the pan! I think I destroyed my non-stick pan by burning peaches, water, sugar and lemon sauce. I'm afraid that if I haven't already ruined it, different remedies might be bad for the surface.

Can anyone help me?

Debby from San Diego, CA

Answers:

Cleaning Burnt Food From Non-Stick Pan

If it's that bad you've got nothing to loose so try this, I've used it many times and it's always worked: sprinkle the skillet (and I mean totally, a thick layer) with non-scratch cleanser. Add enough water to make a paste. Cover with plastic wrap (so the water won't evaporate). Let set overnight. Next day, run water in the pan to wash out the cleanser. This may be enough to remove the mess. If not, wash gently with a sponge. You may need to do this 2-3 times, depending on how bad it is, but it will come off eventually with this method. (09/11/2007)

By perfume and powder

Cleaning Burnt Food From Non-Stick Pan

Honestly, with any non-stick, you don't want to use it if it's been exposed to heats higher than it should be. That means the Teflon is compromised and then can release toxic chemicals into the air.

Better safe than sorry, scrap the pan, try finding a nice new one at a discount place like Ross, Marshall's, or a local restaurant supply.

Also we just switched to stainless steel. Honestly, it sticks way less, the food cooks much better and browns beautifully! We use olive oil or olive oil non-stick spray (safe even around birds) and nothing sticks. Why risk your own health? (09/14/2007)

Cleaning Burnt Food From Non-Stick Pan

Have you thought about trying good old fashioned cast iron? There's nothing fancy about them, they're heavy, a little cumbersome at first, but they're wonderful in a broiler (good potholder is a must) and they're really quite hard to ruin once you season them. If used properly, they are virtually nonstick and last for generations. (09/15/2007)

By U*u*U

Cleaning Burnt Food From Non-Stick Pan

You may want to try spraying your pan first with non stick spray next time.

Also, a trick my grandma used to do was put water in the pan and boil the heck out of it, it usually works, also Dawn Direct Foam is a great dish soap for soaking over night.
Good luck. (09/15/2007)

By diana1117

Cleaning Burnt Food From Non-Stick Pan

I have read many times that baking soda will loosen burnt-on "stuff". I had not tried it until one day it was in my shaker next to the sink. I was amazed at how all I had to do was rinse the stuck on food right off after sitting awhile! Not everything can be rinsed off, but it doesn't take a lot of elbow grease to get it off! I would usually put the pan back on the stove and boil water awhile until it could be scraped off.

As to the olive oil, you can't turn heat up as high with that as you can other oils. It will burn faster. My husband is from the school of, "if the flame goes that high, then it must be OK to use it"! Don't use the highest setting and always stir, then no more burnt food. (09/15/2007)

Cleaning Burnt Food From Non-Stick Pan

Try filling your pan with enough baking soda to cover the bottom of your pan add enough water to cover the baking soda plus about 1-2 inches. Put back onto the stove and bring to a boil, remove from stove and let sit overnight, and wash as usual. This has always worked for me, hope it helps you. (09/15/2007)

By Dianna

Cleaning Burnt Food From Non-Stick Pan
Burnt Food
Removing Burnt Food Smell from House
Fixing Burnt Sausage
Fixing Burnt Sausage
frying pan birdbath
Making a Birdbath from a Frying Pan
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Peter Pan Costume
🎉
🎄