Cleaning Burnt Sugar on a Smooth Top Stove

Category Appliances
Glass top stove covered in white powder
Boiled over sugary foods can be difficult to clean off your smooth top stove. This is a guide about cleaning burnt sugar on a smooth top stove.

I have tried everything and still have the problem. Now what?

Answers

Anonymous

Try the Scrub Daddy. It's terrific.

You can either harden it or soften it. Harden by rubbing with an ice-cube, and the scrape/ chip gently with a plastic utensil. Or soften by repeated applications of water. Place hot-water soaked kitchen paper over the sugar. Repeat many times. With a little luck the sugar may soften and begin to come off. Failing that, just continual gentle cleaning may erode it.

I use a razor blade scraper to remove burnt food from my stovetop. Then I use Cerama Bryte to make it shine.

https://www.ama  L&ref=plSrch

https://www.ama  ew_1482379783448

that and the Magic Eraser...did not work. But thank you for responding.

I have been doing this all night. Even bought new razor kit to make sure I had new, sharp ones. I am beginning to think the burn is cooked into the surface. I have been at this for over a week.

I appreciate your response to my dilemma.

I have a smooth top stove also and really love it; I have had many spills but never sugar.

It would seem that some of the ways to clean off burnt food would/might work with your problem.

I generally use only baking soda, water, vinegar, or Barkeepers friend on my top and one of these usually cleans beautifully. I have found that none of these causes pitting of the top while other methods may do so (rumors I have heard). Many people swear by a razor blade but I (personally) do not feel safe using a razor blade.

Most of the time I just take a dish cloth, soak it in water and put it in the microwave for 1-3 minutes.

Remove the cloth with tongs as it will be very hot. Lay the hot cloth on the food  leave it for a few minutes and remove cloth and wipe away any dissolved food. I have had to do this 2 or 3 times for some spills.

Another method that has worked for me is to sprinkle a thick layer of baking soda over the spill and then pour vinegar over the baking soda. Always keep several clean rags close by to clean up any runs. This will generally cause a fizzing so wait until it stops and wipe up the vinegar and chunks of food. Repeat until all food is gone.

I think some people warm the vinegar a little but I have never tried that.

I hope someones method helps you so you can continue to enjoy your nice stove.

I have tried it all. This burnt sugar is like fused ! to the burner. I am now trying "The Works". still nothng.

Thank you for all of your suggestions, but it looks like a new stove in the near future,.

That's horrible, did you try a razor scraper?

We bought a used smooth top stove that had several spots on top around the "burners" to the point that I thought the finish had worn off. I started dripping peroxide on the marks, sprinkled baking soda on that, then lemon essential oil. Let it set (several hours). Then misted with a vinegar spray and let sit again.

Then worked the marks with a nylon scrubbie in small circular motions. It all hasn't come up yet, but more and more comes off each time I do it.

I don't know exactly what composes these marks,but I do hope this 'recipe' helps you out!

I also have had a glass top stove for years now. I use Soft Scrub on my stove for any burned on particles and some have been very tough, but the soft scrub works. I have scrubbed it, and then left it on there until the next day, keeping it moist with water. And it comes right off! Good luck.

Soak that part in baking soda water for 30 mints then scrub it

This worked for me. Spray oven cleaner on the spots. Cover the spots with pot tops to avoid any fumes. I use glass tops so I can see when the burner turns red. Light each burner until it turns red, leave burner on for only five seconds. Let it cool down, remove the pot covers and wipe the residue away. This works the same as if you used it inside the over. I've used it with the heat but it may also work without heating the burners. Best of luck.

My husband boiled over a brown sugar vinegar mop sauce on my black glass top stove. How do I get it off? I tried the baking soda with vinegar paste which helped, but several stubborn stains are left. Help!

Use an old credit card and scrape it off.

get it hot while boiling a pot of water. turn it off and with gloves spoon boiling water onto it while rubbing it with a damp towel.

I have burnt sugar on a smooth top stove. Any suggestions how to remove. Regular stove top cleaner is not helping.

Barbara from Columbia

The only thing I have found that cleans everything off a glass stovetop is Shaklee's Get Clean Scour Off Heavy Duty Paste. I received it as a gift from my SIL with some other cleaning products. It sat in my closet for a year. When I could not get the "cooking rings" off my stovetop with the recommended stuff, I pulled this out to try. WOW--it looked like new after I finished. It's non-toxic also.

I discovered in order to clean my glass top stove I use Soft Scrub and an old credit card to scrape the stove. It does not scratch and works like a charm. I keep an old credit card next to my stove for this purpose. Good Luck

I have burnt sugar on a smooth top stove. Any suggestions how to remove it? Regular stove top cleaner is not helping.

Barbara from Columbia

Answers:

Smooth Stove Top Cleaning

Have you used a flat edged razor to "scrape" it off? Between the cleaner and a flat edged metal spatula I have, I have been able to get it all off of my stove top. Or, if that does not work go back to the company/store you bought it from or call them and ask them what to do about it.

Could it be plastic that has melted? That can be hard to remove. Scraping is what I have had to do then.

Be careful that you do not scratch your stove top when cleaning, remember it is glass. My instructions for my stove top though, did not instruct me to have my burner on when cleaning. Why not try it when the burners are cold?
(02/18/2005)

By valleyrimgirl

Smooth Stove Top Cleaning

Try one of those Magic Erasers. I use the Mr. Clean brand one. Dampen it very slightly, and use it with the burners turned off. (02/18/2005)

By Guest

Smooth Stove Top Cleaning

Try Orange Clean (from the makers of Oxiclean). It works wonders on my glass stove top. (02/19/2005)

By guest

Smooth Stove Top Cleaning

Bar Keepers Friend is the best stuff to clean your stove top. (02/19/2005)

Smooth Stove Top Cleaning

I would cover it with that new Dawn degreaser (not sure of the name) and let it sit for several hours.

Then I would wash it off. It might take more than one time, but I believe that will get as much of it off as anything on the market. (02/19/2005)

By Nancy

Smooth Stove Top Cleaning

I'd wet it a little, pour on a bit of liquid dishwasher detergent and let it sit overnite. Should wipe up easily in the AM. (02/19/2005)

By Linda

Smooth Stove Top Cleaning

I used a paste of OxiClean and water. Let it sit for a bit and scrub away. Works well. (02/21/2005)

Burnt Sugar on a Smooth Top Stove

What you'd do would depend on what type of a smooth cooking surface you have. I got a single edged razor blade in a holder with my stove, and it works for most things. However, I must be very careful with sugar. If I get sugar on it, I must turn off the heat and remove it immediately. If I don't, the melted sugar will ruin the surface and there is nothing that I can do to repair the damage. Check with the manufacturer. (12/12/2005)

By susanmajp

Burnt Sugar on a Smooth Top Stove

I have a GE smooth top stove and use their "Cerama Bryte scrapper. "It is similar to a razor blade, but not as sharp so as not to scratch the surface. It comes with a holder. It can be purchased from G.E.Parts Center 1-800-626-2002. (12/13/2005)

By Dean

Burnt Sugar on a Smooth Top Stove

Solved a similar problem years ago.
Make sure cooktop is cool to the touch.
Surround the spot with dish towels.
Pour boiling water on the burnt on food.
Make sure the towels soak up the excess water, but aim to have the water puddle over the spot.
The spots will loosen shortly and then you get to wipe and repeat the whole process all over again.

I discovered this while making flan. (12/13/2005)

By cookwie

Burnt Sugar on a Smooth Top Stove

I use oven cleaner on my smooth top all the time. DO NOT put it on when smooth top is HOT. Only do when cold. Leave on for no longer than 10 minutes. Everything will wipe off wonderfully! (04/09/2006)

By Polly

Burnt Sugar on a Smooth Top Stove

Use Soft Scrub. I have been using that for two years on my smooth top and it has cleaned off everything!

And it hasn't hurt my smooth top.

DO NOT use a razor blade or metal objects this is going to scratch the surface. You can however use a
green scrub pad with the Soft Scrub. (02/26/2007)

By Suzanne

Burnt Sugar on a Smooth Top Stove

Zep Mfg. has a paste product called Best Stuff. It's available directly through Zep. Apply product with damp sponge, allow to sit a few minutes, continue scrubbing then add some water and rinse off. Your glass top will look brand new when done. This product is 100% non abrasive. As a side note, this product is absolutely awesome on cast iron bath tubs! (06/15/2007)

By Marc

Burnt Sugar on a Smooth Top Stove

OxiClean is a good bet, but the owner's manual for my GE stovetop (pg 14,

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/usappliance/pp980owne.pdf) says that sugar and plastic can cook on permanently unless you take it off right away. (08/28/2007)

By Adrian

Burnt Sugar on a Smooth Top Stove

I had burned sugar crystals on the glass top and the regular cleaners did no good. Here was my solution.

Rub a little olive oil on the area. Carefully scrape with a new single edge razor blade held at a shallow angle. You should see burned stuff accumulate on the blade. Wipe this onto a paper towel wet with oil. Continue until smooth. Clean up with a paper towel and water. (09/24/2007)

By Tim

Burnt Sugar on a Smooth Top Stove

My pot boiled over. It was filled with coco and butter. It immediately baked on to my glass cook top!

After it cooled off, I tried creme, dishwashing liquid, etc. and nothing worked. I figured I had nothing to lose so I poured vinegar on top of the stove and rubbed it into the burned area. Then I poured the cleansing creme on top of vinegar, took a paper towel and worked the creme into the vinegar and let it sit for a couple of minutes. Then I wiped with clean paper towel and low and behold all of the burned chocolate came off! (12/27/2007)

By Lynn

Burnt Sugar on a Smooth Top Stove

Mt. Dew syrup cleans anything! Just don't drink it, lol. My husband worked at a KFC in high school and they soaked the fry baskets in it when stuff got melted/fried onto them. If you have access to some, I'd try it. He said they played around with it and discovered it cleaned everything: toilets, grease off the floors, etc. Just let it soak on for a while. (05/09/2008)

By Brandysue

Burnt Sugar on a Smooth Top Stove

I just tried the Bar Keepers Friend on the horrible black stains left by boiling over homemade applesauce. It took time, but it was awesome and nothing is left! Thanks. (11/04/2008)

By cmom

Burnt Sugar on a Smooth Top Stove

I had two different things burnt onto my glass cooktop. I found two different solutions one worked for one and the other for the other.

The first thing was some burnt on sauerkraut. I wet a new Bounce dryer sheet and left it very damp, with standing water, and laid it on the stains. It took a bit of scrubbing after, but it all came off.

A Bounce dryer sheet will also work with cooked on food in pans and casserole dishes. Just put one in with hot soapy water and let it soak for a while. You will be able to just wipe it clean.

My 2nd stain was burnt on brown sugar. I wasn't sure I was going to be able to get it. First I used the stovetop creme, then the Bounce dryer sheet, it didn't phase it. Finally I used a very thick baking soda/water paste, rubbed it hard with my fingertips for several minutes, and it finally came off. Good
luck! (11/18/2008)

The Best Stain Remover...flat top stove

The best thing I have found was first Comet, then the baking soda, add hot water drops and salt, rub with fingers. Good luck. (01/06/2009)

By Pam from AL