Cleaning Carpet Stains

Category Carpet
Spraying Carpet Stain
While a very durable floor covering, carpets get stains on them from time to time. This is a guide about cleaning carpet stains.

To my horror, my strawberry margarita slipped off the end table and disaster struck on my light beige apartment carpet. Being a typical male I begin rubbing not blotting the stain and after a while of scrubbing gave up and went to bed. The next morning it looked worse.

The Home Depot trip purchase did not solve the problem, so I found a tip on this website that I thought I would try and after a little contemplating (since I am an Engineer) I perfected it. Here are the steps to remove a set red stain such as the above mentioned (koolaid, red juices, etc.):

1. 1. Make a small container mix of hot water with an ample amount of blue Dawn dish washing liquid.

2. Pour the solution on the stained area and wait about a minute or so to let the Dawn do its work.

3. Grab a roll of paper towels (like Bounty, the "Quicker Picker Upper").

4. Get your iron out and plug it in with the setting on high. Let it warm up nice and hot.

5. Take about 5 or 6 sections of dry paper towels and fold them so they are just wider than your iron and lay them over the stained area.

6. Take your hot iron and press down on the paper towels. (Don't let your iron contact the carpet directly or you will have a bigger problem, since most carpet is made from plastic, such as nylon,) Instantly the paper towels will begin soaking up the water and a steaming action will occur, hot steam everywhere. Don't worry its just the hot iron and water making contact. You have just created an instant home steam cleaner that will work on most stains actually.

7. When you lift your iron, you should see the stain color being wicked up on the paper towels.

8. When that batch of paper towels becomes soaked, make a new batch and repeat until the towels don't soak up much water anymore.

9. On my stain, I had to apply 3 batches of Dawn and hot water, repeating the whole steaming process.

10. With a little patience the stain disappeared and my apartment deposit is still intact.

11. Don't use white cloth towels as others have suggested, why ruin a perfectly good towel or rag. Paper towels are cheap and soak up the moisture more effectively.

Let me hear about your success stories.

Source: This is an improvement to a tip I found on this site.

By El Marko from El Paso, TX

To take fresh red stains out of a carpet: My grandson spilled over half a glass of red punch onto my beige carpet. I immediately sprayed window cleaner over the stop and started blotting. I repeated the process until there was no stain left.

By Marty from Tell City, IN

I recently had my carpets professionally cleaned and I asked what is the best thing to use to clean spots without leaving a residue that actually attracts more dirt (such as Resolve and Oxiclean). He told me the best thing to use was plain old club soda. He said to pour it on let it sit a few minutes and then use a shop vac or wet dry vac of some sort to suck up the excess liquid. He said for most stains you shouldn't even have to rub at all. He said this will work on pet stains also.

By D.Bulanda

Some areas of your carpet are more heavily used that others. These heavy traffic areas are typically more soiled and may be harder to clean. This is a guide about cleaning carpet dirty from heavy traffic.

A woman cleaning a carpet in front of a door and couch.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Rubbing alcohol is one of the best ways to get stains out of carpet. It can remove pet stains, rust stains and coffee stains. This guide contains DIY carpet cleaning tips and shows you how to get stains out of carpet using rubbing alcohol.

A glass of red wine spilled on a light colored carpet.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

I have used Dove soap on carpets to remove all kinds of stains. Plus, it leaves the room with a beautiful clean scent. You only need a small amount of Dove liquid soap and water in a spray bottle.

Spray and clean carpets with a hand held scrubbing broom brush. Remember, just a few drops of Dove in the spray bottle.

By fefehubby

When I have carpet issues, I first use some Dawn detergent on a microfiber cleaning cloth. When that does not work, I get out my acrylic craft paint, some Q-tips and dot the paint over the stain until it matches the carpet. Use minimal paint and work slowly.

There is an old stain, it might be lipstick on a white carpet. They have tried to remove and there is still a large spot. If anyone has an idea I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

By Jackie from North Powder, OR

If it's an old embedded stain, it would be rather impossible to remove from the rug.

Check your laundry aisle for a liquid bleach for colors called Vivid. Mix about 2 tbsp per cup of water, spray on the area and allow to sit overnight if possible. Use a damp cloth then a dry cloth to blot up. I have used this with a great deal of success. Hope it helps!

Hi Jackie,

First try shaving cream. If that doesn't work, try Windex. Both are marvelous for removing carpet stains.

Mix white vinegar and liquid dish soap in small container. Use a brush to apply to spot and scrub. I have found this takes a lot of small spots out.

I have used degreaser spray ( like WD40 ). As brilliant as WD40 is it smells terrible and overpowering so use a degreaser which tells you it is citrus smell or similar.

Spray some onto the stain leave for a couple of minutes and blot off and then used face cloth or similar. Dip in water with small amount of dishwashing liquid ( not so much you have suds ! ) and gently scrub the rest of the stain off. It really does work and it will tackle any stain. My son walked around with Flexitol liberally applied to his plods. You can imagine the damage that did to the carpet and my temper ! The degreaser removed all of it.

However check on an inconspicuous part first just in case any probs. My carpet is wool and very light so I am not sure as to bleaching after effect.

You can buy degreaser sprays in bike and car shops and some cheapo store like Wilkinsons, where I got mine. I love Wilkinsons. There is one in Kingston upon Thames and one in Epsom.

I saw this on UTube so I hope the person giving the information will forgive me in the interests of disseminating information.

Good Luck.

From Petworth in the UK

One day while rummaging thru my extra freezer in the back of my house. I sat a 12 oz. can of frozen orange juice up on the top of the freezer, forgetting about it. A few days later, I heard a noise. What I found was a partial can of thawed orange juice on top of the freezer, and the rest had run all down the front of my freezer and into my light gray carpet. I was lucky that it didn't explode onto the ceiling area. What a mess though! My question is --- does anyone know what takes orange juice concentrate out of carpet? Many thanks to those who answer!

Terri

I use Shout Spray On any of my carpet spills.

you might try straight peroxide. or if that doesn't get it, wet the area with peroxide and sprinkle on some baking soda and scrub it in with a soft brush. rinse and repeat as often as needed. this will take blood out of jeans so it should do pretty good on orange juice too. good luck.

I know that when I had pets, and they did their liquid business on the rug..I used ginger ale or club soda. Baking soda may help, too. and oops for the Orange Juice. I have done that...we now store our cans (of frozen juice) in ziplock type bags. Just make sure they close.

My daughter's chest freezer quit working on her and some meat thawed out. The blood leaked out of the unit and got on the carpet. She tried shampooing it up, but the smell and stain are still there.

By Kellyjo K. from Heppner, OR

Maybe she should try an enzymatic cleaner. We got some at Petsmart for "accidents," called PetZyme. The bottle said it's for all sorts of organic messes. Here is a link:

http://www.pets  prod_cs#prodTab1

We went ahead and got the big bottle, and put it in our own spray bottles (so much cheaper per ounce). I've used it several times, and it seems to work well on urine accidents. I haven't had to try it on blood, but it might not hurt to try.

Good luck - don't know if it'll get rid of the ugly spot, but hopefully at least the smell will be gone (then maybe she can cover the spot with a rug!).

I don't know what it is about Baby Wipes, but for some odd reason they work. Every time I spill something on my carpet I grab the baby wipes and it always comes out:) I have also used goo gone on an old paint stain and it came out right away without damaging color. Try these sometime:)

How do you get stains off carpet?

Dave from San Diego, CA

a great product is called Spot Shot. It is about $4-5 a bottle but well worth it. It is cheaper if you get it at sams or costco.

If you use Spot Shot or Oxyclean (or any other similar type of product) be SURE to rinse out ALL residues of these chemicals as they WILL cause the carpet color to fade in the areas where they have been used. These products are designed to remove stains (specifically the colors associated with stains). Unfortunately these chemicals don't know the difference between the color of the stains and the carpet's own color! The resulting effect is carpet that has faded spots.

Simply stated, chemicals do NOT belong in carpet! Be sure to rinse out any chemical residues using warm water. Extract the water thoroughly using a portable wet-dry type of vacuum cleaner.

Good luck!

Sincerely,

Chris Howell

www.colorfulcarpets.com

Maryland, USA

I have an old, white carpet, but it doesn't look white anymore. It has many different dark spots which show up out of nowhere. How can I make it cleaner and whiter in general?

By Lilly

Mix up a strong solution of Oxy Clean in a bucket of water. Wet the area well with a mop and let it sit for 30 minutes. Use a wet-vac cleaner to clean and remove excess moisture.

I have an asphalt driveway and very light carpet. I have awful trails on the carpet and it is a little sticky. I have had it professionally cleaned several times, but the spot returns almost as soon as it is dried. What can I use to clean it? Please help.

I found a tip on your site re getting out stains from my light carpet. I have tried the apple cider vinegar + baking soda, but I'm finding it has made the carpet worse than it was. There are now big stains on the carpet. I am now on my 3rd application to see if it will lift the stain. My carpet is a cream colour and the stains now are really noticeable.
Can someone give me some advice?
Thanks.

By Rhonda G

How do I remove the red sofa dye from brown carpet?

By Jean from Mobile, AL

I dropped a pink vodka sidekick on the carpet last night. I need help on how to get it out?

By Anthony

I have spilt Blue Loo toilet bowl cleaner on a synthetic mocha coloured carpet. How can I remove the stain?

By C Falk from Victoria, Australia

What can you use to remove red stains from carpet?

By beaver from Seminole, FL

Have you steam cleaned the carpet and had that stain reappear? As the carpet begins to dry, the residue wicks up in the fibers and goes to the surface. To prevent this: stack several paper towels on top of the damp area and place a heavy pot on top. The towels should soak up the remaining stain overnight.

By Linda from Oceanside, CA

The carpet in the doorway to my daughter's room has a big black stain on it. I don't know what it is or where it came from. Does anyone have any ideas to remove this? We rent and our landlord put in the carpet just before we moved in a year ago. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
jmz2005 from IL

Answers:

Mystery Stain on Carpet

Try "Spot Shot". It comes in a blue can with a bright orange top. I haven't found a spot yet that it won't remove. (02/16/2006)

By Jean

Mystery Stain on Carpet

When I moved in with my boyfriend, there were several mystery spots on the carpet. I mixed in a bottle peroxide, rubbing alcohol, and water. I don't remember the exact quantities. What wasn't removed with that, I later went over with a 1:3 mix of vinegar to water. I love using baking soda, vinegar, rubbing alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, water, and dish soap for everything. (BTW Liquid Oxi-Clean is peroxide with additives.) (03/21/2006)

By Treece

Mystery Stain on Carpet

More than likely the stain is nothing more than soap residues which have created a "sticky situation" that is attracting dirt. You can easily test for this by simply applying warm water on the spot and agitating it with your fingers or a tooth brush (be sure not to over scrub the spot or the fibers will become "fuzzy"). If soap suds are produced then you will know that the mystery stain is just sticky soap residues which can be rinsed out using warm water. You will likely have to perform multiple rinses of the carpet to get all of the soap out. You can use a small portable "wet-dry" type of vacuum cleaner to extract the soap and water out. The water will not harm the carpet. But be sure to extract as much water as possible to leave the carpet dry and prevent mildew from forming.

If the water does not remove the mystery spot then it may be an oil-based stain. If this is the case you will need to use a solvent type of cleaner to remove the stain. These types of solvents are often referred to a POG (Paint, Oil, Grease).

Good luck.

Chris Howell
www.colorfulcarpets.com
Maryland, USA (07/25/2007)

By Colorful Carpets

I can't afford to purchase new carpet. Is there a tried and true recipe for removing stains and old odors from them? Thanks.

By Jeni from Sacramento, CA

Answers:

Removing Stains and Odors from Carpet

I love Resolve (pump) carpet cleaner to remove stains. There is also an aerosol spray which is quite strong and smelly for tougher stains, but I find the pump version works great.

For overall clean, rent a cleaner and diy. Its reasonable and Walmart rents them. Odoban is a good disinfectant as well to spray on your carpet and fabric. Sold at Walmart. Eucalyptus scent is nice. (08/06/2009)

By dvg

Removing Stains and Odors from Carpet

Mean Green removes stains nicely and won't fade your carpet. Also, there is a rug shampoo called "Rug Doctor" this stuff is amazing at removing stains while cleaning the rug. You can buy this stuff at an A and P store and you can rent the shampooer there as well. (08/08/2009)

By lorraina

How do I remove dried in stains from a carpet?

By Michelle

Answers:

Cleaning Carpet Stains

Hydrogen Peroxide. Soak the stain with it, leave for about 20 minutes, then blot with an old towel. Better yet, shampoo. (08/28/2010)

By abbysmom

How do I get rid of deep dark stains on my carpet?

By Jamie from Benton, IL

Answers:

Cleaning Carpet Stains

Google: homemade cleaning products and uses for vinegar. Vinegar and baking soda are super cheap and clean just about anything. The vinegar smell goes away when it dries, as you will see when you Google it. (06/19/2010)

By vaughnman1

Someone came in from the outside and left snow prints on our carpet. When the snow melted it left dried salt footprints. I tried a spray on foam cleaner with no effect. The carpet is a dark gray shade and is a plush carpet. Please give me an idea how to clean it, this is a brand new carpet.

Marie from South Milwaukee

Answers:

Cleaning Carpet Stains

I don't know if this will help for you, but it sure worked for nail polish on my carpet. Try the 409 Glass and Surface (purple in color). I sprayed it on the nail polish on my carpet and with a little rubbing with a clean damp white rag I saw it all coming up. (01/26/2007)

By stlouisx50sgirl

RE: Cleaning Carpet Stains

Cleaning Carpet Stains

The best stuff in the whole world is "Folex". It removes all stains from my carpets. I love the stuff.
(01/26/2007)

By cjbisco

RE: Cleaning Carpet Stains

Cleaning Carpet Stains

Melaleuca makes Sol U Mel, which is wonderful to remove any stain.
Check under Melaleuca.com for information.
KB (06/19/2007)

By Kathy

Cleaning Carpet Stains

There is a product you can purchase at any Petsmart or Petco called "Simple Solution". It's the greatest stuff I've ever used. My husband and I used to have 4 Golden Retrievers (who love to play in the water and mud) and our carpet is a light gray. Just pour the solution on the stain, put a clean towel on it and stand on it for about 2 minutes. When you lift up the towel all the dirt will be on the towel, and you can scrub in any remaining wet area and the stain will be gone completely. It's been a carpet saver for me for over 18 years! And now I have a 2-year old puppy. (08/24/2008)

By hearts1

Cleaning Carpet Stains

I have cats; I live in an apt. If you don't want to buy a steam cleaner (after owning a couple, I highly recommend Hoover's SteamVac - got it $150. Google your best price.), then just get the professional soap that goes with the steam cleaner. This is a hands and knees job. But it works. With a new carpet, I would just invest in the steam cleaner. (11/14/2009)

By catfifty

How do I remove old stains from carpet?

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.