Cleaning Cat Vomit Stains from Carpet

Category Carpet
A cat laying on carpet.
When your pet gets sick and vomits on the carpet stains often result, from food dyes, and more. This is a guide about cleaning cat vomit stains from carpet.

How do I remove red pet food stain from a beige carpet? My cat vomited all over the carpet. I have tried peroxide and that is not removing all of the red color.

Lewis from Oklahoma City

Best Answer

Resolve in the spray bottle. I've never had a stain this stuff wouldn't remove. A little pricey but well worth it. Lasts forever.

Best Answer

Oxyclean. This is the best stuff. Mix it with water and apply. I use it in my carpet steam cleaner. Works great in th laundry too.

Best Answer

I've always used plain window cleaner to remove all type of stains from my beige carpet. Just saturate the area and blot with a wet cloth, rinse and repeat if necessary. It's taken red punch, colas, and almost everything else.

Best Answer

Scrubbing bubbles. I took out something red out of a blue carpet that was a few yrs old. I have a friend that details cars, told me about it. It is all I use on any material stain.

Best Answer

I experienced this myself when I awoke to a red stain on my cream carpet that had been from treats I gave my cats. I never buy red cat food for this reason, but didnt realize these treats would be so red.

Anyway, I knew they would be trouble and my cats didn't disappoint. To make it worse, the stain was dried by this time. I tried Natures Miracle (nope), then my spot blot with Oxyclean 4 times (nope). The stain was still dark pink.

Finally, I poured club soda on it, put a white washcloth on top and then an iron on low. I did this more times than I can count, pouring more water on it many times. And finally... success. Steaming it out, worked! And the treats? Well there gone for good!

Once a cat pukes on carpet and the carpet turns yellow (after only a few hours) is there any way to return the carpet to its original color? I've tried dish soap and water, and carpet cleaner. My new gray carpet still has yellow spots!

By Gayle from Lutsen, MN

Answers

Best Answer

Is the carpet discolored from the cat food or from the cleaning process? If it is from the cat food, you should be able to get this out with a good quality carpet cleaner. If it is from the cleaning process (you mentioned the stains showed up later?) than you likely have a more difficult problem.

Just be sure NOT to use bleach. You'll get rid of the stains as well as the carpet color! Oh, and change brands of cat food to one that has less added color.

How do I remove stains on my carpet from my cats vomiting all the time? Also, how do I prevent them from constantly doing this? Please help. Thanks.

By baby doll

Now that the light has changed for the season, we are really noticing some pet stains in my roommate's room. She has white carpet and unfortunately the cats have the tenancy to throw up on it. Any idea on how to get out old cat vomit stains? This would be a great help.

Thank you.

By Sheri from NJ

I have a cat who has been throwing, which then leads to a stain in the carpet. We have a Bissell pet spot remover and we have tried other Bissell products to get the stains out and nothing seems to work. I was wondering if anyone had any other suggestion.

Danielle from Orlando, FL

Answers:

Removing Vomit Stains On Carpet

Try these steps:

1. Scrape up solids with a spoon or dull knife. Blot up as much of the stain as possible with white paper towels.

2. Neutralize the stain by spraying the area with a solution of 1 tablespoon ammonia and 1 cup warm water. Do not use ammonia solution on wool carpets! Just skip down to the next step.

3. Sponge the area with a solution of 1 teaspoon mild, non-alkali detergent and 1/2 pint lukewarm water. Continue to apply detergent and blot with paper towels until the stain is removed.

4. Once the stain is removed, spray lightly with water. Place an absorbent pad over the damp area and weigh it down with a heavy object. When no more liquid is absorbed, remove the pad and allow carpet to thoroughly air dry.

5. If an odor remains after the area is dried, sprinkle the area with baking soda. Let it sit for a couple of hours, then vacuum.
source: http://blogs.findanyfloor.com/consumer/CareAndMaintenance/RemovingVomitFromCarpet.xhtml (10/16/2008)

By Ken

Removing Vomit Stains On Carpet

I had the same problem with my cat and my dog. They always seemed to get sick on my beige carpeting. Faithfully I use Woolite Carpet Cleaner with OxiClean in it. I really saturate the spot and it has worked every time. Even when my dog got some "dodo" on the beige carpeting. Good luck! (11/08/2008)

By MLP89

Removing Vomit Stains On Carpet

I have found that you let the stain dry if possible. Then dab a bit of 91% rubbing alcohol on a white rag and gently rub the carpet. Keep rubbing onto stain until gone The 91% rubbing alcohol works much much better than the 70% kind, so be careful to buy the correct formulation. Hope this helps. Qwner of 5 cats! (12/04/2008)

By Janine

Removing Vomit Stains On Carpet

I have white carpet and use straight hydrogen peroxide on the stain and it works almost every time. Some dry cat foods leave a faint yellow stain so I'm going to try the shaving cream suggestion to see if that works. (02/10/2010)

By freebiedee