Cleaning Chef Coats

Category Laundry
A white chef's coat.
A chef's coat can get very dirty while working in a kitchen. This is a guide about cleaning chef coats.

How do I get the stains out of my chefs uniform? Please help.

By Josh from Lilydale, Vic

Try straight bleach an leave it on for about 10 min then wash. (assuming it is white). If that doesn't work spray the white jacket with oven cleaner like easy off, wait ten min and wash. May need to repeat this treatment but it does work!

My son's chef coats say "no bleach". I have used Tide in cold water and hot water. When I use bleach they turn gray. They are cotton. How do I get them clean?

Jennifer from MS

Answers:

Cleaning Chef Coats

Try adding borax or vinegar to your regular detergent. (07/29/2005)

By Madelynnsmama

Cleaning Chef Coats

I wash all my whites in Whisk laundry detergent. People always ask me how I keep them so white. I wear white uniforms.

(07/29/2005)

By Joyce from KY

Cleaning Chef Coats

Soak your coats in Oxyclean for a few hours or overnight. Comes in a bucket with instructions on the label. I use it regularly now instead of bleach which is hard on clothes. (07/30/2005)

By Edie

Cleaning Chef Coats

I soak mine in a clean pail filled with scalding water (overnight) and one scoop of powdered dish washer detergent. Then use hot water to wash. Mine stay nice and white that way. (07/30/2005)

By Annie

Cleaning Chef Coats

Boil a half of lemon in a couple of cups of water then pour the lemon and boiled water into a basin that has your chef coat and water. The lemon will make your whites as bright as new. (08/01/2005)

By Joanne

How can I remove stains from my husbands chef coats?

By inger_2sb from Edwardsville, IL

Answers:

Cleaning Chef Coats

If you can treat the stains before they set in the fabric, soak in OxiClean. I buy a generic brand OxiClean from the dollar stores. (07/30/2009)

By MCW

Cleaning Chef Coats

Those are the worst stains in the world. Not only food, but from the metal equipment my hubby is constantly cleaning. 3 things that have helped.

#1 dishsoap (like Dawn) to pretreat with.

#2 A product called White Brite, found in the paint supply area will help with the yellowing. (this stuff has some fumes involved)
This works for a poly cotton blend.

#3 Spray hydrogen peroxide all over the damp/washed coat and leave it out in the sun to dry. Don't look at it until it is dry because it goes very yellow before it goes white. (test on a spot first)

A WARNING: Combining tips #2 and #3 not only produces fumes, but HEAT. I do not recommend this. Hope these help, but in the end finding chef coats on sale on line can be the best bet.

P.S We even tried to dye the old coats black and it was kind of cool. He looked a little like a confederate, maybe we'll go with blue for the union next time. (07/30/2009)

By Lazateda

Cleaning Chef Coats

This sounds crazy, but it works! Spay stain with oven cleaner (well-ventilated space). Wait 10 minutes then launder as usual. This came to me from a friend who worked in a hospital kitchen. Only do this to white garments as it may take the color out of coloreds. (08/02/2009)

By lindal

Cleaning Chef Coats

My husband is a professional chef w/his own catering business. I dread the idea of washing his coats as well as his linens and rags. But this came from a friend of ours who use to work in a dry cleaner. Hydrogen peroxide. Let sit for a couple hours. Use bleach on tough, grease stains. Use vinegar for odor and mildew. Also, if you have labels or logos on white shirts and don't want them to fade, pour a little vinegar over them and you can throw them in with whites that are being bleached. This works on any brand of clothing. I also have spray bottles for each product diluted with water so when I come across any stain, I'm ready to go just as if I was using regular spot cleaning. (08/12/2009)

By Julane