Cleaning Contact Lenses

Category Bathroom
Cleaning Contact Lenses
Your vision and comfort is improved with clean contacts. This guide is about cleaning contact lenses.

I love the all in one solutions that clean and remove deposits on my contact lenses, but boy are they expensive! To save money I use plain saline solution to rinse my lenses after storing in the all-in-one solution. The saline is a lot less expensive, and I'm not dumping tons of expensive solution down the drain.

By Heather

Before cleaning your contact lenses, close the drain in your bathroom sink or cover it with a washcloth. This will keep the lenses from going down the drain if you drop them.

Tips for saving money on cleaning solutions for contact lenses. Post your ideas.

Best Answer

Walmart seems to be one of the cheapest for multipurpose solution. I use their store brand multipurpose solution for rinsing and cleaning. The saline stings my eyes. I have never had any problems with the generic brands and I'm a contact wearer for almost 20 years.

Best Answer

I went to my optometrist years ago and decided to be honest. I told him I was only using saline because of the cost.

He picked up a bottle of the solution I should have been using and walked me over to the Hydrogen Peroxide. (Yes the brown bottles for 50 cents!) They have the same ingredients! The only difference is the label, check it out.

This system works well with the Aosept cups that have the hole in the top. It is very important to let the air out overnight. You will see and here the bubbles. The air will convert the Peroxide (H2O2) into water (H2O)

Remember to rinse with saline. This was just before the multi-purpose solutions came out so it was always two steps.

I used this for many years with no ill effects before I went back to glasses.