Cleaning Cookie Sheets

I bought new baking sheets and baked some cookies and now the cookies have left stain marks. How do I get them off?

CyndiT from Plainfield, IL

Answers:

Cleaning Cookie Sheets

I have always used soap filled steel wool pads (SOS pads). If you do a quick light cleaning with them after each baking session your pans will stay nice for years. I'm still using plain aluminum pans and baking sheets I've had (and used continuously) for 30 to 40 years and they still look great. I'd rather have the very faint scratch marks in the aluminum from cleaning with steel wool than have the burned on grease that you get otherwise.

Here's a neat tip I picked up from a ThriftyFun post: place your used, wet SOS pad on a small square of aluminum foil and it will not rust. This works great. It's probably one of the favorite pieces of information I found on this web site. Another tip, do not put aluminum articles in your dishwasher with dishwasher detergent. It will turn them dark and rough. You can however put aluminum in your dishwasher and run a rinse with "water only" to get the surface gunk off. I do this when I'm cooking for a crowd and want to get a lot of pans rinsed so food won't dry on them before I can give them a good washing. They're out of sight, out of the sink and out of my way until after the meal is served. My kitchen is small, with limited counter space so this works very well for me. (12/24/2006)

By Grandma Margie

Cleaning Cookie Sheets

Even though I have cookie sheets I prefer to buy wax paper and just line my cookie sheets; which cuts down on my clean up time and preserves my somewhat ungodly looking cookie sheet.

Once you start cleaning your cookie sheet with any abrasive it looses its luster. (12/24/2006)

By Ms. Tamie

Cleaning Cookie Sheets

Spray the warm sheets with oven cleaner, and place them back inside the oven as it cools. Then remove them and the crud should scrub off pretty easily. (12/25/2006)

By Linda

Cleaning Cookie Sheets

There is a product on the market called "Dawn Power Dissolver". It is made by Proctor and Gamble. We use it in the elementary school kitchen to remove the burned on buildup of grease on all the baking sheets we use. I have used it at home as well, on my aluminum pots and pans. I found it in my local grocery store. It works great. (12/26/2006)

By Granny Sandy

Cleaning Cookie Sheets

Sometimes vinegar will do the trick or the Magic Eraser. (01/05/2007)

By kimmcg

Cleaning Cookie Sheets

I just ordered a product called Magic Sheets, it removed all the oil and grease from my new cookie sheets. it is all organic. I also had baked chicken and I didn't need to soak the pan for hours, it is great. You can find them at magicproductsllc.com. (01/27/2008)

By Kathy

Cleaning Cookie Sheets

Not a cleaning solution, but a way to continue to use your cookie sheets that have baked on goo. Purchase one or more Silpats. They are marvelous. Buy one each month as they run around $20. They come in several sizes so price will go up, but they are worth every penny. Never grease another cookie sheet, ever. You can even buy one for your toaster oven. And a great way to prevent grease buildup on new cookie sheets. (05/10/2008)

By mozark

Cleaning Cookie Sheets

Barkeeper's Friend (from Wal-Mart) is the best I've found for stuff like this. I use it all the time and love it. (01/21/2009)

By Abigail

A used cookie sheet in need of cleaning.
Cleaning Cookie Sheets and Bakeware
Organizing Cookie Sheets
Organizing Baking Pans and Cookie Sheets
Fitted Sheet
Making Fitted Sheets
Cookie sheet
Uses for Old Cookie Sheets
Burnt Cookie Sheet
Cleaning Burnt Cookie Sheets
🎉
🎄