Cleaning Costume Jewelry

Cleaning costume jewelry sometimes requires a different approach than that used for fine jewelry. This is a guide about cleaning costume jewelry.

Cleaning Costume Jewelry
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

June 29, 2012 Flag

Cubic zirconia earrings.I have a pair of gorgeous cubic zirconia earrings, costume jewelry they are, though. There is one band of "diamonds" across the centers of the earrings, and a few of the settings behind the stones are tarnished. If I pry out the stones, I won't be able to set them back in, and it would be too costly to have them done professionally for only costume jewelry. Does anyone know how to get the tarnish out without removing the stones from the earrings? They are goldtone.

By Jazzmin Flower from Alta Loma, CA

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You can buy jewelry cleaner at WalMart and other stores. Try that and an old toothbrush. I have also heard of people using liquid dish washing soap (the kind for hand washing dishes). and an old toothbrush.

November 8, 2004 Flag

Does anyone have any hints for cleaning costume jewelry? Anything special that needs to be used on sterling silver or gold?

Laverne from NE

I recently attended a Jewelry party and the lady that gave it said that Woolite is the best thing you can use on all of your jewelry wether it's costume or the real thing! Soak it in a bowl with about 3 or 4 drops, scrub softly with a soft tooth brush if necessary and then rinse well and let it air dry. Polish with a soft cloth. Works well on Sterling Silver also - will prevent it from tarnishing so bad.

I recently attended a jewelry party and the lady that hosted it said the best thing to use on ALL jewelry is 3 or 4 drops of Woolite in a bowl of water. Brush with a soft toothbrush if necessary and rinse well. Works on Sterling silver and gold too.

I make a lot of jewelry and I agree that woolite or a gentle soap are the best for most jewelry. Most items should only be soaked for about five minutes, then rinsed and dried with a soft cloth - be careful with items that may haved glued in components, like rhinestones or post earrings. The only thing that might be damaged by this is any jewelry with pearls. Try using a damp soft cloth if needed to clean items with pearls. I learned this the hard way.

How about a cleaner for marcasite jewelry?

Home and Garden Cleaning JewelryDecember 18, 2012
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Phantom Of The Opera Costume
Making a Batgirl Costume
Boy Behind Fence in Convict Costume
Making a Convict Costume
Girl Dressed as a Nurse
Making a Nurse Costume
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 26, 2016 at 10:43:16 AM on 10.0.1.111 in 312 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.